What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The R9 Nano Performance Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Why make a ultimate HTPC video card that does not do HDMI 2.0 when pretty much every single 4k tv does not support display port.

Because the Fiji core is essentially an upscaled Hawaii and uses the exact same architecture minus a few bits. Hence the inclusion of the completely-dead TrueAudio DSP taking up valuable space. Hawaii didn't support HDMI 2.0 at a base level and neither does this.

Vittra

Won't those adapters be 100+ dollars for the active ones and add lag?

Regarding cost - for you? Yes. For manufacturers? No. They would be purchased in bulk for a significantly reduced rate. That's why I mentioned manufacturers should provide them with the cards - it's something AMD should have coordinated with them moving forward, rather than putting the onus onto the consumer to purchase. It may piss off the early adopters but it will be greatly appreciated by subsequent purchasers.

As I said though, it was never their (engineers) idea for these to be used with 4K TVs, regardless of what marketing has said. SKYMTL's statement above this post is crucial to understanding why.

SKYMTL

Staff member
There's a reason why the adapters will be so expensive. Not only do they have to pass on the 4K60 signal but also lossy audio and HDCP 2.2. There's a ton of licensing fees associated with two of those things. In addition, utilizing DP for a high bandwidth video interconnect while also running HD audio necessitates signal manipulation on the adapter's part which means (right now anyways) a dual chip processing solution be embedded into that thing. It's a complicated process.

Coach

Because the Fiji core is essentially an upscaled Hawaii and uses the exact same architecture minus a few bits. Hence the inclusion of the completely-dead TrueAudio DSP taking up valuable space. Hawaii didn't support HDMI 2.0 at a base level and neither does this.

I think you are missing his point. AMD has tried to make the ultimate itx HPTC or SFF gaming card here and they leave out critical features like HDMI 2.0, QC concerning coil wine and IMO inadequate cooling. Sometimes leaving out important features undermines an otherwise impressive attempt to make something truly great.

So yes, this tarted up Hawaii tech is the reason that HDMI 2.0 is not available on the Nano but then why try to make something out of it that it can't be. My guess is that there are so few Fiji chips to go around that the Nano is more of a concept win and something they will easily sell out of due to supply constraints even at insane pricing.

BootlegUsher

When you say TrueAudio is dead, why is that? I thought it was supposed to work passively with whatever audio information it was being fed.

random_2

HBM?

I love it when you throw in these acronyms right at the beginning and I have to read the whole article to try and find the meaning.....if I'm lucky. Tricky bugger. Yeah I know...I'm out of touch. :biggrin:

....the perfect demonstration of AMD’s HBM initiative and where it could lead in the future.

SKYMTL

Staff member
When you say TrueAudio is dead, why is that? I thought it was supposed to work passively with whatever audio information it was being fed.

TrueAudio requires direct support from the game itself. The ISV's need to support it since code paths have to be written which redirect audio processing to the TA DSP.

BootlegUsher

TrueAudio requires direct support from the game itself. The ISV's need to support it since code paths have to be written which redirect audio processing to the TA DSP.

Did a single game get made with True Audio support? If not, that's a waste.

Latest posts

Twitter