What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the telescope, spotting scope, monoscope & binocular optics discussion thread

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
as I mentioned in another thread, I'm a bit of an optiholic and worked in a telescope store for a few years. I was asked what was needed to see the rings of Saturn. the short answer is about $400 - $500 (with current exchange rate).

first, magnification is literally the least important feature you need to concern yourself with. it has it's place, but there are many other things that are more important.

the primary scopes you would want to consider buying are 90mm or 100mm (often 102mm or 105mm) achromatic refractor. you want the scope to have an f-stop of no less than 5, with 6 or longer being better. 5 and 6 are ideal as they're short enough or long enough to let you do both deep sky and powered viewing. most items you want to look at are deep sky, which don't respond well to magnification unless you have very large lenses...however the planets take easy to magnification, but if your focal length is too short, it's hard to get that magnification without use of additional items, like a barlow lens. having too long a focal length makes it difficult to do low power viewing (needed for DSO - deep sky objections, ie: nebula's, star clusters, galaxies).

the top seller beginner scopes we sold were from Meade and SkyWatcher:

SW 102mm F5 (the #1 selling scope):
http://skywatcher.com/product/bk-1025az3/

Meade 90mm F6:

there are a few accessories that are highly recommended, such as a barlow as well as a third eyepeice (most kits come with two, a 10mm and 25mm) to complement the magnifications the eyepieces you get provide. a barlow is a magnifier...they come in several different magnifications, but the most popular is 2x. when you have a barlow, you double the available magnifications available with your eyepieces. 10mm becomes a 5mm and the 25mm becomes a 12.5mm.

you figure magnification by dividing the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece. for instance, the SW 102mm is F5, so 500mm long. take that and divide it by the 10mm eyepiece, you get 50x magnification.

there are several types of telescope. each one has it's pros and cons. the one that likely comes to mind immediately is the refractor, which is the most popular. then there is the reflector, which uses mirrors and then there are one's called compounds, which are a combination of lenses and mirrors. the most popular reflector is called a Newtonian, or Dobsonian. the two most popular compound are the Schmit-Cassegrain and the Maksutov- Cassegrain.

in astronomy, aperture is king. the more light you see, the more resolution you have or deeper you can peer into the night sky. however, the best telescope is the one you use the most. bigger scopes get heavier, which means harder to move around and setup. it also means a lot more cost is involved, as you require mounts and tripods that can handle these weights.

Last edited:

Dwayne

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I have some video watching to do on basic use I guess, and understanding the parts and pieces. The night sky has always been fascinating and I am thinking of sharing some of that fascination with my Grandkids. A telescope would add a dimension that just looking at pictures on a computer can't give you.

Marzipan

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I have some video watching to do on basic use I guess, and understanding the parts and pieces. The night sky has always been fascinating and I am thinking of sharing some of that fascination with my Grandkids. A telescope would add a dimension that just looking at pictures on a computer can't give you.
to be honest Dwayne, unless you're in a badly light polluted city with no access to any dark space, binoculars are really good to start with. with those and a good starter book (Nightwatch or Summer Stargazing by Terence Dickinson), you learn the constellations and how to find the easy to see DSO's. there are hundreds visible to 10x50 binoculars. the Nikon Action Express II are very popular. 10x50 is also the most popular bino for nightwatching as well. 10x is the cusp for most hand holding before shake makes seeing anything impossible. so 8x42's would be a good start as well, expecially for kids .and forget anything like the cheap Bushnell 8x25 or 10x25...they're good for rudimentary terrestrial viewing, but useless for night time because of their small exit pupil.

if you are in a badly light polluted city, like Vancouver, getting a scope is best, because the only easy things to see will be the moon and the planets. if you go to a dark park / school yard that's unlit, you will be able to see a number of DSO's, but the haze doesn't make it easy. looking at the moon is wonderous, in which case you need to get a filter kit. polarizing filter, o3 nebula filter, light pollution filters and color filters.

Valkyrie

You should have pretty good viewing in Courtenay @Dwayne.

I'm quite sure Friendly is talking about this Nikon binocular (not recommending Amazon, just a reference) https://www.amazon.ca/Nikon-Action-Extreme-Terrain-Binoculars/dp/B0001HKIK4

It is well regarded for optic quality at the price.

For scopes I kinda prefer Newtonian reflectors as the eyepiece is usually in a good place when looking high in the sky (through less atmosphere). They also usually provide more aperture for the money. Something like the Orion Starblast II 4.5 eq with the addition of some better eyepieces at some point maybe.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XSM4R74?tag=duc12-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

The equatorial mount has to be polar aligned, but then it's easy to follow objects you've found.

Shadowmeph

I live at big white with very little light pollution at times. Really should look into this more. Skywatcher link is dead
thats something I miss I remember heading into the interior of BC especially in teh winter wit hfriends and they were amazef at how many stars there are in teh sky . for about 20 years I was living in Abbotsford with allot of light polutuion and it was very rare just top see one stair at night. now I live in Aldergrove area and I can see some stars I am always checking out whe nI am comign in from m,y truck after work even in Cloverdale I can see a few stars at nioght but it is nothing like in the interior where there is no light pollution I really miss that. if I could I wouild move to a less populated areas just for the better skys and cleaner air

Marzipan

one of the neater stories about suffering dark sky shock was when the eastern seaboard had that power outage. a hundred million people saw the night sky for the first time in their lives. I suffer dark sky envy, because so many things that aren't even naked eye objects in our BC interior dark skies, would have been easily observable then.

@clshades - link fixed

sswilson

Staff member
one of the neater stories about suffering dark sky shock was when the eastern seaboard had that power outage. a hundred million people saw the night sky for the first time in their lives. I suffer dark sky envy, because so many things that aren't even naked eye objects in our BC interior dark skies, would have been easily observable then.

@clshades - link fixed

Sounds like the plotline for Azimov's Nightfall.... :)

clshades

@clshades - link fixed

wow that looks amazing! The kids would love that!

Valkyrie

wow that looks amazing! The kids would love that!

The Sky-Watcher stuff tends to be good value. The correct image prism makes tracking objects more intuitive, which is good as the alt-azimuth mount requires adjustment in two axes to track.

For kids, a sealed up, fairly rugged refractor may be a better choice.

Get something and start looking at the night sky! You will enjoy it.

Latest posts