What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The 'What are you watching' Thread

CMetaphor

Quadfather
(Writing these like mini reviews is kinda fun for me, so here goes)

Currently watching:
1) Breaking Bad (for the first time):
It's kindof meh tbh. Like an episode of Jerry Springer everyone's reactions to every situation seems to be "skip the more reasonable choices and go straight to the most extreme ones imaginable". I mean, I had always thought the site would begin with Walter having *no choice* but to resort to making meth to pay his bills, but in watching a successful friend of his offered to pay for it AND en offered him a better job than he had at the time. So what kind of rational person ignores both and instead jumps straight to "I'm going to cook meth". It's ridiculous. Between that and how everything in the show is half comedy, no matter how serious the situation, I'm having trouble continuing it.
Result= stalling in S2, might not finish it.
Rating = C-

2) The Boys:
Now this is much more interesting. A different take on the swelling superhero genre, and possibly a more realistic one? Let's face it, if there were people with super powers in the real world, there would be assholes that misuse it and others trying to make money off of it. The Boys is a very, very adult take on all that and more. Definitely not a show for kids. Karl Urban is fantastic as ever, and seems to really enjoy being the anti-hero here. It's not perfect, but it has the potential to be really fantastic in the future.
Result: Finished S1, eagerly awaiting S2.
Rating = B+

3) Doom Patrol:
Wow. Where did this show come from? I went in blind, bit knowing anything other than it being DC -related, and I love it. The actress playing Kate wear completely unknown to me too, but why doubts about her ability to play such a complex character were gone by the end of the pilot. Brendan Fraser's return to the screen is fantastic, and possibly the best acting I've ever seen him do. He takes a bit longer to get comfortable in his role, but also rises up to the challenge fantastically. In fact, I can't remember any show I've ever seen with a more diverse set of characters with so many great actors playing them. This show is my new Futurama. It is wacky, weird, adult and childish. It will make you (as it did to me) laugh out loud, or well up with tears, sometimes in the range episode. It's right up there with The Expanse imo, as one of the best shows it there right now, and it only keeps getting better.
Result: not even done S1, savoring reach episode at an inpatient pace.
Rating = A.

Shadowmeph

ya breaking bad totally insulted my intelligence on how things really are( well were when I knew peeps like that) compared to that the guy would have been dead or disappeared before the end of season two in the real world

CMetaphor

Quadfather
ya breaking bad totally insulted my intelligence on how things really are( well were when I knew peeps like that) compared to that the guy would have been dead or disappeared before the end of season two in the real world
yeah, ridiculous is the best word for BB. The pilot killed any chance of it being taken seriously. Or if it being mistake for a cautionary tale about drugs and drug use. The show is just a silly farce, and really not much else. I really don't get why so many people like it*.

*: well actually, I do have a theory but it's not exactly something to share.

twinkledime

The Spy on Netflix! What a great series man. And seems like not so many people discovered it yet. If you are curious about Israel/Syria relationship and some history, definitely recommended! Based on a true story as well.

Twitter