What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The 'What are you watching' Thread

Lysrin

First episode of Wheel of Time
Started that last night. Only got about 15 min in episode 1, just was taking a peek. But the lady they cast as Egwene... really didn't fit with my mental image. So that distracted me. But I adjusted to the the Netflix Witcher casting so I can likely adjust here too ;) It is a great looking show visually.

Couple episodes into Yellowstone season 4 as well. I can't look away... lol

Shadowmeph

Started that last night. Only got about 15 min in episode 1, just was taking a peek. But the lady they cast as Egwene... really didn't fit with my mental image. So that distracted me. But I adjusted to the the Netflix Witcher casting so I can likely adjust here too ;) It is a great looking show visually.

Couple episodes into Yellowstone season 4 as well. I can't look away... lol
I am pushing through The wheel of tome sort of watch but doing other other things with it playing in the back ground . I still haven't watched Yellowstone yet

Lysrin

Okay only another 20 min or so into Wheel of Time and it's already pissed me off. How come people can't just make the story and characters as they are in the actual books that we like for Pete sake?! I won't go on and on... Short rant.

FreeKnight

Okay only another 20 min or so into Wheel of Time and it's already pissed me off. How come people can't just make the story and characters as they are in the actual books that we like for Pete sake?! I won't go on and on... Short rant.
I had a suspicion it was going to be a stinker. I read the series and I don't think it's focused enough to make good TV. Especially if they actually make it to the materials of Book ~6 onwards when there's dozens of characters introduced that don't add any real substance to the story.

lowfat

Staff member
I'm a pretty big WoT fan (see avatar), but TBH I don't really care what they change. As long as they changes they make sense down the road. I use to get mad when watching adaptations as they'd change things from the books. I just learned to roll with it and see where it leads. Made movies/TV a tad more enjoyable. :p

JD

Staff member
I watched the first episode of Wheel of Time, but not having read the books or knowing anything about it, I don't feel the show made any attempt to explain anything? Visually/cinematically it seems well put together, but it surely didn't "grab" me.

Lysrin

Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings was unexpectedly quite good. Nice surprise.

I'll give Wheel of Time a bit more of a chance, as you said @lowfat . I'll try and give them a little leeway. I should at least get through all of the first episode! 😉 I do like Moiraine in the show.

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings was unexpectedly quite good. Nice surprise.

I'll give Wheel of Time a bit more of a chance, as you said @lowfat . I'll try and give them a little leeway. I should at least get through all of the first episode! 😉 I do like Moiraine in the show.
I remember years ago when Dexter first started out most people were talkign about how good it was I tried off and on over a few years to watch it and just couldn't get into it , then I watched I think it was a second to last season episode and was impressed so I went back and bind watched all the eps until I was caught up. sometimes it takers a while for the actors to get into character or just being in he right mind set to get into it.
now on the other side of the coin I watch Star trek discovery and although it is just ok and not really watching for some reason I keep watching it probably because its called star trek hehe

Lysrin

I will say...
I did quite like the battle with the Trollocs and how powerful they made Moiraine. Wizards and magic are often underwhelming in movies and shows but I thought that was a pretty satisfying. I don't think the whole throwing bricks thing was in the book (was it?) but it was cool to watch.

I'm not sure what the point of Perrin being married and then accidently killing his wife was, but I guess they might do something interesting with that? At least I am pretty sure that never happened in the books, nor was he married at the beginning? Been a while since I read it though so open to correction.

I was also annoyed at Moiraine and her Warder in the bath together. I don't remember that being a thing in the books either. But they didn't actually do anything else with that so I'm not sure if that was supposed to be romantic in nature or just convenience to not waste bath water! lol

Last edited: