What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "What book are you reading" Thread

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Currently re-reading Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan before I dive into book 12.

You've never read The Gathering Storm or Towers of Midnight yet?

The Gathering Storm sits on my shelf, waiting for me to finish KoD. I figured I had to re-read Crossroads of Twilight and KoD, as I couldn't remember what was happening. Really, I should re-read the whole series, but that's about 18 months of reading for me with the whopping 15 minutes a night I seem to get.

Between the wife and kids, HWC, and RiFT, reading just isn't high on the priority list right now. :biggrin:

martin_metal_88

Very nice psycho study of the book Mein Kampf. Next on my list is a psycho study about the Final solution of Himmler and then I have to re-read Dieppe Jour de honte, jour de gloire ( The shame and the glory )

Attachments

• 9782081210516.jpg
    9782081210516.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 64

PerryC

Really, I should re-read the whole series, but that's about 18 months of reading for me with the whopping 15 minutes a night I seem to get.

I just finished rereading the books, thats why I am only about half way through The Gathering Storm. I tend to reread the entire series anytime a new book is released....doesn't matter what series it is. I'll do the same thing with Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series.

I love reading and I am a fairly fast reader too.

lowfat

Staff member
I just finished rereading the books, thats why I am only about half way through The Gathering Storm. I tend to reread the entire series anytime a new book is released....doesn't matter what series it is. I'll do the same thing with Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series.

I try to do the same most of the time. Didn't do it w/ ASoIaF though. I was reading another series at the time and didn't want to wait another 2 months to read ADWD, while I re read the other 4 books.

vulcan500rider

Still two more books after ADWD. Prolly end up being 5 years between each of them too.

If that's the case, the series will likely end up in the same boat as the Wheel of Time; there's no way Martin is going to make it another 10 years...

lowfat

Staff member
If that's the case, the series will likely end up in the same boat as the Wheel of Time; there's no way Martin is going to make it another 10 years...

If he had a plot outline done someone like Joe Abercrombie could finish it and maintain the same sorta darkness to it.

Although hopefully he just quits it with his 'pizza tours' and doesn't keel over any time soon.

Socrates_Johnston

I'll be reading whatever my fiancee ordered me last week for my birthday, either the original Starship Troopers, Bourne series, or books from mr Martin there

Starship Troopers is good, vintage Heinlein. Don't expect an action packed romp like what we saw in the film (in-fact, the film departed so far from the book they hardly deserve the same name). There is some good action, but the novel is very political, and explores the nuances of military hierarchy, imperialism, capital punishment, and other hot-button issues & ideologies that are still very relevant today.

Right now, I'm reading Player Piano by Vonnegut. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

I just recently finished Blood of Elves and The Last Wish by Sapkowski (the Witcher novels). They were fast-paced fun, but I found myself unsatisfied after finishing the 2nd book...I will probably go on to play the games now. (Slight warning: the novels are translated from Polish, so you will come across some broken English, but once your brain adjusts you barely notice)

lowfat

Staff member
I just recently finished Blood of Elves and The Last Wish by Sapkowski (the Witcher novels). They were fast-paced fun, but I found myself unsatisfied after finishing the 2nd book...I will probably go on to play the games now. (Slight warning: the novels are translated from Polish, so you will come across some broken English, but once your brain adjusts you barely notice)

I've read most of the wikis on the Witcher novels. They seem rather interesting at least in terms of what happens. No idea on the writing. I do plan on reading all of them once all of them get translated.