What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "What book are you reading" Thread

Lysrin

Finally got around to starting in on this, and I'm not sure I read it when I bought it (it had a military canex pricetag on it so it was probably bought while away on course, and the spine doesn't appear to have been bent back at all).

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised at how closely the writing tracks with what I remember feeling about the series. The series is far enough in the past that I don't remember specifics, but actions in the book "feel" like they should have been in the series if they weren't already.

At it's core it's a sci-fi film noir detective novel.
As you guys have likely gleaned from my posts, I'm not a fan of a lot of what I consider to be "gratuity" these days in shows. I don't mind stuff that makes sense in the setting, but sometimes it just seems like tonnes of extra stuff gets thrown in "just because we can" and for the titillation factor!

Curious with this book compared to the series. Does what they included in the series line up with the book or did they go a different way with show?

sswilson

Staff member
I don't remember all of the specific details from the series, but so far what I've read tracks more like a screenplay directly from the series as opposed to a novel that had a series based loosely on it. Pretty much all of the plot events in the book have tweaked my memory enough that I'm relatively sure they were covered (almost verbatim) in the series. (And yes... I'm a third of the way through and there have already been a couple of fairly descriptive sex "scenes", but they're integral to the story as opposed to gratuitous).

The book tracks so closely to the series that a person would be excused for thinking that it was written/released based on the series rather than the other way around. The fact that I purchased the book in 2008, and it's got a 2001 copyright on it puts that assumption to rest. :)

Lysrin

Ah see, now that is good. I like it when they match the series material to the written material, within reason. I know the mediums do require some changes for the storytelling. Then a person can decide if they want to watch or not, knowing that they are at least getting an accurate representation of the written material.

Cool (y)

sswilson

Staff member
I usually don't read novels if I've already seen the screen adaptation. I'll sometimes revisit a novel I've read in the past after seeing a movie/series, but I personally prefer to let my imagination define what I'm reading as opposed to basing that interpretation on what I've already seen on screen. In this case, I discovered the book in my library and wasn't even sure if I'd read it so I took a chance.

Lysrin

I usually don't read novels if I've already seen the screen adaptation. I'll sometimes revisit a novel I've read in the past after seeing a movie/series, but I personally prefer to let my imagination define what I'm reading as opposed to basing that interpretation on what I've already seen on screen. In this case, I discovered the book in my library and wasn't even sure if I'd read it so I took a chance.
I get that. I have been reading The Expanse books after having watched all the available seasons of the show. The visual medium is so powerful that it is very hard to create your own mental imagery of characters or events after you've already seen them on screen. There are some large differences in a few of the characters in that series, book to screen.

I am also rereading Lord of the Rings after having rewatched the movies with my daughter. I didn't even remember how much different the books were from the movies, it had been so long and the movies are so powerfully presented! And although I like the movies, a lot of the stuff in the books are definitely unfortunate omissions. Well... that's my opinion again of course! ;)

Praktik

Just finished Station 11 by Emily St John Mandel - set in the near future around the Great Lakes, where I live, about 10-15 years after worldwide pandemic with a virulent swine flu strain out of Georgia called the Georgia Flu and it pretty much kills 90% of us in a few weeks.

Think of it in the tradition of Cormac McCarthy's The Road but maybe not quite as dark and brutal a vision of the future as that, though almost lol...

Anyway great book!