What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "What book are you reading" Thread

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Dusted off my 38 yr old copy of the foundation trilogy in honour of the Disney series (that I'll probably never see.... )
What about the prequels and sequels Asimov wrote in the 1980's? I think they are just as good. Then you add in the Robot / Empire novels that were tied into the same timeline with Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth and there's 18 novels to read.

By the way, the Foundation series looks to start following the story from the Prelude to Foundation prequel, not the original trilogy.

sswilson

Staff member
I've got the 4'th book (Foundation's Edge), but not sure about Foundation and Earth (I'll have to check).

My Ballantine paperback copy (https://www.ebay.com/p/1600977806) has a preface from Asimov outlining what went into the first trilogy (they were short stories) and the arm twisting that went into getting him to write foundation's edge.

Lysrin

Dusted off my 38 yr old copy of the foundation trilogy in honour of the Disney series (that I'll probably never see.... )
I've never read them. Been more of a fantasy vs sci-fi guy in books, but I'll add it to my list. I saw part of the trailer for the Apple TV show, but didn't watch it all as I don't have Apple TV so didn't want to like it :) and didn't make the connection to Asimov's books... sad, I know.

Wait a minute... you said Disney. Is it Disney?

Nope, AppleTV. Carry on...

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I've never read them. Been more of a fantasy vs sci-fi guy in books, but I'll add it to my list. I saw part of the trailer for the Apple TV show, but didn't watch it all as I don't have Apple TV so didn't want to like it :) and didn't make the connection to Asimov's books... sad, I know.

Wait a minute... you said Disney. Is it Disney?

Nope, AppleTV. Carry on...

Yeah, I got that wrong (I don't have access to either one... ;) ).

edit: as far as the book/series goes, I probably pull it out every 5 or 6 years for another read. It's "comfort food" reading at this point. :)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Had a look at my bookcase and I do indeed have "forward the foundation". I was also wracking my brain trying to remember a book about a scientist who was dumped on a work farm after having his memory erased with one of the few things he can remember being that he "studied nothing"..... turns out that was "The Currents of Space" which also happens to be an Asimov Galactic Empire novel.

One of the things that jumps out in the foundation series is the focus on "nuclear" devices... the original stories were written in the mid/late 40's when the thinking was that nuclear tech was the wave of the future for everything from force fields to your electric toothbrush. :)

Arinoth

Staff member
I really need to get back around to finishing the Altered Carbon trilogy but man is it a bit difficult to read sometimes, or is it care, I can't put my finger on why I can't seem to get through the 2nd book more...

naugrim

The Foundation series was one of my favorites, and Foundation's Edge was fantastic, but i had a harder time enjoying the others that came after. I think i read one of the first Foundation prequels, but didn't read any of the others after that. I really enjoyed the Galactic Empire novels too, but i don't think I ever read any of the robot novels.

lowfat

Staff member
jWNzc2l.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
First 6 Cradle books by Will Wight are currently free.

Latest posts

Twitter