What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Work Out/Lose Weight/Diet Thread

Shadowmeph

I haven't been to a gym for many years and personally I never cared for them except for the access to a variety of equipment I used to train allot with a few martial artists and body builders back in the early mid 1980s but discovered that I only needed my own body weight and to get what I needed but if I were to get injured or something like that then I would have to change and use weights for isolation of the muscles. the thing I learned is that with natural body weight train is that for me anyway seemed to balance my muscles out better then to use weights which work great but if I didn't exercise the opposite muscle group throw my body`s natural balance out .
but that is just me the key fore me is to really pay attention when exercising and feeling the muscles work .
I remember going to the gym and seeing that most guys had huge arms fairly big chests flat stomachs with very little fat but no legs there calf`s were tiny and they probably had horrible cardio which to me meant that they probably couldn't run up to many flights of stairs.
but like I mentioned that was years ago now days I think or hope that people try to balance aerobic and anaerobic .

I do know that for my self my body is out of balance my leg muscles are so used to running that I have a slight problem walking any real distances because of the leg development of the past year of outdoor running every other day I think that I have to try and get some biking and walking in on the off days

clg

Gyms aren't about being buff its about using it as a tool to lose weight. Biking, hiking, etc doesn't help me lose the godly amount of stomach fat that I accumalate and the only way I find to shed that is by using weights.

You're probably putting a lot more effort into the weights than traditional cardio training. With a good diet you should be able to shed pounds with any form of exercise.

Shadowmeph

well I weigh pretty much the same now as I did when I started, well ok I lost 8 lbs in a 2 year period ( more like 8 lbs after the first 6 months of that 2 year period) ,but that is because I have more muscle mass then before I lost inches in my waist . basically what I am saying is weight counts in the beginning but measurements also count my pants do not fit at all they will fall if I don't use a belt or cinch up the belt loops .
another thing is try to have fun when your exercising when I am running I run slower but I also am checking out everything around and noticing things instead of being all tensed up and huffing and puffing the full 6 km . which I guess is another reason why I don't care for gyms I would rather run down to the lake do some pushups and then continue running then sit in a smelly gym .

clg

Gym's are what you make them, and for many they're necessary to attain your goals. From my post back in May at 165 I've put on about 20lbs of lean body mass, that's not something that I would've have succeeded in doing without the help of a gym. What you're doing may work for you, but you're not going to see anything significant with a few 5km jogs and pushups.

enaberif

You're probably putting a lot more effort into the weights than traditional cardio training. With a good diet you should be able to shed pounds with any form of exercise.

The issue is that I'm not overweight and quite healthy and in shape.

I will give you a good example of what is going on with my body. No matter what I eat or drink I get bloated badly. And until this goes away I completely lose my appetite. The only way I can get rid of this bloatedness is by doing cardio or weight training.

I can't run that well cause I crazy ass bad shin splints so I resort to skipping and rowing but have to be careful with that as I will trigger my asthma.

And with having a desk job the bloatedeness can get really bad some days.

Shadowmeph

The issue is that I'm not overweight and quite healthy and in shape.

I will give you a good example of what is going on with my body. No matter what I eat or drink I get bloated badly. And until this goes away I completely lose my appetite. The only way I can get rid of this bloatedness is by doing cardio or weight training.

I can't run that well cause I crazy ass bad shin splints so I resort to skipping and rowing but have to be careful with that as I will trigger my asthma.

And with having a desk job the bloatedeness can get really bad some days.
shin splints are from heel stoping instead of proper running. I used to get shin splints years ao but the last two years I haven't had any pain of any kind ever from running.
I run because I really like running not because I feel I have to run to look good or feel good hell I am 51 years old and weight 208 lbs I can do 150 proper pushups at medium fast speed and can only do 15 proper shoulder width palms forward slow chin up which to me is good I doubt that the averagae person at my weight could do 3 proper chin ups I am talking about lowering all the way down and then pulling all the way up sothe chin goes over the branch (I use a tree at the lake lol).
I used to have bronchial asthma which was one of the reasons why I learned Taichi and a bit of Chi Gong to learn how to sort of control my breathing that is very hard thing to learn is to breath properly and naturally.
of course now days the only thing I remember is the breathing parts and also I used part of my Taichi in my Running so that I am not Pounding the pavement for my size I have been told that I move silently.

clg

Consecutively? 150 pushups and 15 pullups (real ones, not kipping) would be considered very fit by any age standard, I'd guess in the top 2-3% of people.

Perineum

Real pull ups (meaning no kipping) have 3 versions of difficulty, at least that I've heard of.

Easiest is the palm facing you shoulder width apart pull up.
Next is palm facing away shoulder width apart pull up
and then most difficult is the palm away wide grip pull up.

clg

Palm in = chin up, much easier than a pull up for most. A ide grip should be easier for most too, substantially shortens the range of motion.

Shadowmeph

For me any wide grip pullup is allot easier then shoulder width same goes for Push ups not sure why that is. I really don't consider myself in the top 30% never mind 2-3% lol , I have flab around my waste and slight man boobs but hey I feel pretty fit.

Latest posts