What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thermalright releases a 1kg Cooling BEAST!

lowfat

Staff member
That is one heavy monster.
I do want one of these companies one day to make one out of Silver (unless that's already happened and I've missed it) just because.

-ST
There was a time when we had silver waterblocks. I know Little River had a silver Storm G5 available. IIRC was $200USD back in 2005.

I thought someone had released a special edition silver heatsink at some point, but google is failing me. So maybe not.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Well not Pure Silver Obviously, otherwise it would also tarnish too easily as well.
But a Good enough Alloy of Silver and you would have basically the best thermal solution because of its properties (which is what, 50% better or so than Copper? I don't have my chart in front of me so YMMV on the actual number).

Would love to see it one day. You could probably make the best Passive coolers out of it as well.

-ST

Mr. Friendly

Well not Pure Silver Obviously, otherwise it would also tarnish too easily as well.
But a Good enough Alloy of Silver and you would have basically the best thermal solution because of its properties (which is what, 50% better or so than Copper? I don't have my chart in front of me so YMMV on the actual number).

Would love to see it one day. You could probably make the best Passive coolers out of it as well.

-ST
well...it could be nickel plated silver...and nobody would be the wiser, LoLoL!

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I thought good was the best thermal conductor? That's why the McLaren F1 had it's engine bay lined with gold. Dunno for sure though.

Still wanna see other new heatsink designs tho. Whatever materials, just not more rectangular towers all over.

Izerous

I thought good was the best thermal conductor? That's why the McLaren F1 had it's engine bay lined with gold. Dunno for sure though.

Still wanna see other new heatsink designs tho. Whatever materials, just not more rectangular towers all over.
Was lined with gold because it is the best heat reflector. Prevented the engine from metlign everything around it.

Though I have had gold plated waterblocks...

Mr. Friendly

diamond is the best heat and electrical conductor...but due to obvious cost constraints, stuff like this isn't made out of them...hence my comment on carbon nano-tubes, which are essentially man made diamond. still bloody expensive, but a lot more affordable due to the nature of being able to custom build it in whatever shape / size, etc, that you need.

they're constantly making fake sapphire and such...what are the thermal and electrical conductivity of them? better than gold?

Soultribunal

Staff member
I thought good was the best thermal conductor? That's why the McLaren F1 had it's engine bay lined with gold. Dunno for sure though. Still wanna see other new heatsink designs tho. Whatever materials, just not more rectangular towers all over.
IF I am not mistaken that is done because of the amount of EMI the Electrical ignition system emits in the bay (much like we wrap Satellites in Gold to protect them from Solar Radiation and Solar Wind) would interfere with the rest of the cars electronic system.
For Metals, Silver I believe is the best (better than copper) and Copper is better than Gold and Aluminum. Gold is better than Aluminum but really, who cares given copper is so much cheaper lol.

Diamond is insane (5.125 times better than Copper). But prohibitively expensive, for obvious reasons.

Carbon Nanotubes would be cool but not practical in this particular application. At least not yet.

-ST

Soultribunal

Staff member
That always happens when I quote lol....
I love the new forums but yeah sometimes they frustrate me when they do this.
It just needs to be plated (like you said actually I think) and it's good. A few um of Nickel or Platinum and you're good to go.

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter