What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thinktank Revision 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainEater

Ok.
I promised the the thinktank 2.0 worklog to Hardware Canucks.

Here it is boys and girls.

=)
------------------
Preface ~

For those of you that don't know , About 4 years ago , I created a submersion cooling based case/computer.
The machine , while completely under liquid , ran fine , but there were no spectacular temps.
I was dissapointed.I am going to rectify the situation.

:)
-----------------

Thinktank Revision 2.0 specs ~

Intel core 2
Mobo yet to be determined ; Asus striker if it'll go
Muskin extreme redline ddr2 pc8000 ( micron d9gmh )
Cheepo video card at first..
- The entire motherboard assembly will be Submerged in 99% Isopropanol alcohol , that is being cooled with dry ice.
- The system will consist of 2 separate tanks , the first being the original thinktank 'tank' (after modifications) , the second being a 'resevoir' for dry ice and alcohol.
- The resevoir tank and all associated piping will be insulated via the Vacuum jacketing method.
- The whole system is being designed to go below -100 C.....We shall see ....

Onto the very first pics !

Original Tank on half rack.This is the 'case' :

Here's the open rack with the tank ;

Now the two tanks and the vacuum pump. ;

What is vacuum jacketing you ask ?

Here's a shot of a vacuum jacket pipe :

It's a pipe inside a pipe , and you maintain a vacuum between them.The resevoir tank will basically be a vacuum dewar , same thing.....best insulation around.

I might make the piping from stainless , I'm not sure yet.

:thumb:

more right away !!

sswilson

Staff member
- The entire motherboard assembly will be Submerged in 99% Isopropanol alcohol , that is being cooled with dry ice.
- The system will consist of 2 separate tanks , the first being the original thinktank 'tank' (after modifications) , the second being a 'resevoir' for dry ice and alcohol.
- The resevoir tank and all associated piping will be insulated via the Vacuum jacketing method.
- The whole system is being designed to go below -100 C.....We shall see ....
:shok::shok::shok::shok:

Ummmmm..... how good is your house fire insurance??????? :)

BrainEater

Hehe

The entire system is being designed with that kinda thing in mind.

The whole half rack is being setup to run a positive pressure nitrogen atmosphere,,,

----

Don't worry bout the Isopropanol tests...they'll be fine.

it's the methyl / diethyl ether tests that worry me...(assuming the hardware survives)

heh

Last edited:

vinister

Wow if they find your house in ashes they will assume you were building a computer-ignited bomb. You sir are crazy!

t0m

holy sh:censored: dude...good luck and be careful...cant wait for more :thumb:

BrainEater

Hehe.

No I'm not crazy , and yes I have fire insurance :haha:

Thanks for the words of concern.

Let me assure you however , I do actually know what I'm doing.Safety is my #1 concern , believe me.The entire machine is going to be surrounded by nonflammable gas , and I'll be building active solvent recovery systems.Even the blanket gases are going to be properly ventilated.

------------

I managed to get my first vacuum jacket pipe put together today.

Step 1 : 1/2" and 1/4" soft copper tube ;

Sized and straightened ;

I'm using flare unions on this sucker....metal to metal .....

The full monty :

Downstream end :this is where the vacuum connection is made....

Tank end :

------------

Hopefully i'll be soldering part of it together tonight......But it need's a 90 degree bend , which im werkin on......

Cptn Vortex

My jesus. I love the 25U rack though, been thinking of getting one and a few rackmount antec cases

BrainEater

Thanks man ! ...Racks are great.

This one actually has a story too.It's an original series Q-sound processor rack , that I've repainted in my clans colors..... It usta be a semi white cabinet , but I saved the plaque ;

------------

I've soldered the first vacuum jacket pipe..... ;

Tank end :

Drain/vacuum end ;

-------

It's certainly not perfect , but it's not bad for my first try , I think newayz.....It is getting an exterior 'seal' coat , so the solder joints are mechanical only ...

This is only a 1/4 inch line tho.....The main circulation lines will be 3/4 inch ID minimum....1 inch if I can do it.....But the piping will be a challenge for sure !

------

More in a few days .

BrainEater

Yea baby !!

Ok.......I am taking the 'backplate' from the original thinktank to the welder's. :

Every hole inside the rectangle will be welded shut.....I'll be drilling new holes.

I have removed the top from the keg.

First I'd like to thank Mike and Ryan from Wildrose brewery In Calgary.Thanks for getting me the tank boys , I owe yah a beer....hahaha

Pressure let out , start hole drilled :

Sawed off......same jigsaw from thinktank 1....pooor f'in thing ....hahah

Top removed , ready for next stage ;

---------------

I have a bunch of glass ordered too.I'm making the original tank into a 3 wall Ln2 (hopefullly) container..

The tank shown will be going into another stainless steel tank just a wee bit bigger.......for the vacuum jacket.....

Status
Not open for further replies.