What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thinktank Revision 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainEater

I may have been hasty about ranting about Dow.Would'nt ya know it , as soon as I rant , I actually find someone who is willing to talk to me....ah well.We'll see what happens.

-----

I have finally secured 24 feet of 3/4" type L soft copper tubing ;

---

This was amazingly difficult to find as well.......Interestingly , I ended up getting it at Rona.Couldn't seem to find it at my usual plumbing shops.

I have secured a 3/4" flare tool , and have my 3/4 flare fittings on order , so my coolant lines are getting closer.

-----

I have a quick and dirty method of setting up a test pump with the actual copper housing , but it means some machining....I should have some test results this weekend.

I'm reasonably sure it'll work well.If mythbusters can make a pump from an actual outboard motor , I certainly can with a boat prop.

:thumb:

klaiboi

speaking of mythbusters.....I wouldn't be surprised if BrainEater was Adam lol....except for the Calgary part lol

BrainEater

Haha....nope srry, :haha: .

--------

I have put together a testable prototype of the pump. (!)

My drill presses got a workout today.

I started out with a 5/8" thick piece of MDF.With a 3" and 3 1/4" holesaw , and a 3/8 drillbit , I created two 'endcaps' to fit onto the 3" copper pipe ;

I then cut a 7" section of the 3" copper pipe and drilled (perforated) the bottom couple inches of it ;

-----

the 2x 3/4" copper output lines come out of the top like so ;

Exploded view :

Assembled view :

-------

hehe.

I have soaked the 2 MDF endpieces in clearcoat , so the water from the tests won't immediately wreck it.

The prop fits quite closely inside the pipe , 1/8" annulus at most.I think it;ll be fine.

I should be doing some tests tomorrow.

Mibs

The pump looks awesome BrainEater! All those perforations in the bottom really do look great. Now let's se how it works!

BrainEater

Thanks guys ! :biggrin::biggrin:

We'll see if it'll do what it needs to tho.I'm sure it'll pump water.

I need it to have enough pressure for 4 feet of lift , pumping syrup.

Once I confirm it works , the MDF endplugs will be replaced with copper/brass analogues.Then I'll test it with iso and dry ice.That'll be the real test.I think it'll work tho.

grinder

dude.. that prop setup looks bad ass. I should swing by tomorror and take a boo in person ;)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
You have a Steel shaft with a Brass propeller - how will the materials react with such low temps? I'm talking mostly material shrinking here for 2 reasons: make sure the prop shaft hole does not crack and how tight will they be one to the other. Or do you intend to use a mechanical fastener to prevent slipping?

sswilson

Staff member
Heh....

This whole thing is simply amazing!!! Why do I get the feeling that the words "more power Igor!!!" are uttered in your household during REM sleep???? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter