What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thinktank Revision 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainEater

Wee update ;

I did the vacuum connection on the big keg , Drilled and threaded ;

tt2_386.jpg

----

I also burnt a couple more '600 super' rods.I'm really in awe of these welding rods.

I actually managed to pull off a textbook grade 'stick welding' , demonstration weld !! Check this out ;

Note : these welds are 316l stainless steel to mild steel.

tt2_385.jpg

On the left you can see the result of attempting 'weaving' (slag inclusions,one sided weld)......On the right , the correct stringer technique.....dramatic difference.....

Cool eh !

:thumb:

cwestwell

even with the lowly dremel I use goggles, a filter mask (just one of the cheap disposable ones), i'd use nitrile gloves too...but it makes my hands sweaty, and it's 2 handed operation at all times. Object is well clamped to worksurface (an old as all heck picnic table)

Same here..grinding or dremel I always use goggles and gloves with something clamping it down to my work bench or table saw bench....you only get 2 eyes and ten fingers and I would like to hold onto them at least until they wear out...being a tech could be hard with one eye and a lack of appendages.

gingerbee

safety first always and 316L is some good steel use it all the time great stuff ( body jewelry ) I like all my limbs too ha ha

dragoonxx

heck, I've been using 2 clamps for holding down my current project, codenamed...black anodized alu plate over top of Xigmatek S1283... first plate I messed up on because the template (the top plate from the heatsink, lol) shifted between drilling hole set 1 and 2, plate #2 I need to square off, then do a like...5x check on making sure I've got the holes perfectly lined up
but anyways, back on topic...still epic

BrainEater

Oh yea baby !

The last of the RTV 157 work has officially ended.

I'll take this time to thank John again.Thanks bro ! I would'nt be here without your help ! cheers ! Hopefully I've done the silicone work well enough.We'll find out !

The spacer washers have been taken out , and the screws backed off ;

tt2_387.jpg

----

I barely got those washers out.I bet I could hang a truck off that backplate with all the screws out....

So at this point I have started the final insulation of the back ; Foam pieces installed with silicone II :

tt2_389.jpg

------

The tank proper is sooo close to done.Here's whats left ;

-2 more foam bits get put in.
-All the foam areas get a uniform 'smear' of silicone.
-The screws get sealed.

After that we're onto the first liquid tests......pump water round etc.....

-----

Then it's plumbing and wiring basically......The next thing I need to take care of is the drilling on the last 2 lexan plates........man I hate drilling plastic...

BrainEater

Ok.

I have a couple of questions for you. :biggrin:

1 : Drilling through Lexan ;

Last time I tried making my own plastic drill bit , it failed.Cracked plastic.....I know it's supposed to be 'pointier' (60 degrees ) , have a blunt point ,etc...

Any input on drilling plastics ? I am totally gunshy when it comes to 'holes-in-plastic-I just-bought' ... heheheh

2 : Sealing screw holes : this is a problem of my own creation.The backplate is not a great design....the screws should be 'exterior' to the seals , but thats a lesson I've learned along the way..bottom line is , each brass screw on the backplate needs to be sealed.

Think I should just stick with silicone? any better ideas ?

------

I did the top seal of the inner resevoir tank ;

tt2_390.jpg

-----

klaiboi

I thought I heard somewhere that while drilling through plastics you should go extremely slowly (like at the point where your not afraid to grab the bit)

and as for the screws couldn't you just put some RTV 157 on the screws and in the holes and screw them in?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
From what I understand drilling plastic needs the same bit and technique as ceramic - but Lexan is a "particular" plastic... let me dig.

The sealing method you're looking for the screws is called a wet installation. Simply dip the screw threads into the silicone, and screw in. Remove excess sealant at the head, but do not clean the head itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.