What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thinktank Revision 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainEater

Hehe......thx guys :biggrin:

I have made some progress.I had the day off today , so I went hunting at the local scrapyard.....Found 2 amazing buys.

I got the inner tank for the storage dewar :

tt2_29.jpg

I have necked it to be just a wee bit taller than the outside tank....

tt2_30.jpg

Nearly complete dewar : all thats required is to seal the two tanks together at the top.The vacuum connection can be seen as well......

tt2_31.jpg

------------

I am designing my own pump.I believe it'll be cheaper and easier to maintain than most commercial solutions.I should have some prelim. pics of this up soon.

:thumb:

snoosebum

A bit out my depth... but I'm not sure why use alcohol and dry ice? Is the goal to keep it warmer than -50C to avoid damaging the board? If not why not fill your tank full of liquid nitrogen? it seems like it would be a lot safer.

BrainEater

I'd like it to go colder than -50.

Here's the deal ;

I can't use straight LN2.I'm pretty sure if you just poured LN2 on a running motherboard it would immediatly die.Thermal shock is no joke.

By using Isopropanol and dry ice , I can bring the temp down reasonably slowly, thus minimizing the effects of thermal shock.

Secondly , the physical requirements of a tank/recirc system designed to handle LN2 is a lot more mechanically demanding.And expensive.

-----------
I'm really not sure LN2 would be any safer.While using flammable solvents seems really dangerous , in reality , flammable solvents are used every day in industrial applications.As long as the correct protocols are followed , it's really no big deal.

BrainEater

sure. :biggrin:

Before I give you a sneek peek , let me explain why updates are slow on this sucker.A good portion of the materials required for this are very difficult to source.I Just found 'proper' borosilicate glass :

TecniGlas

I am waiting on quotes.It might be $$ so we'll see.

----------

I have also found the 'exteriors' for my vacuum jacket lines.

here's yer pic :

tt2_35.jpg

-------

I have every part (computer wise) except the video card.

I am working on the 'inners' for the VJ lines.

Once I decide on proper inners (and have pipe sizes etc),I can start worrying about the pump in earnest.

This is the hard part.

Just try and spec out a 'cheap' pump for alchohol at -80c.No such thing exists.heh...I'll be using the soviet method for building my own pump , I think....The 'blood and thunder' way assures results. I should have some prelim pump building pics soon.

Last edited:

BrainEater

Quicky update :

I have heard from the glass supplier.Looks like about 500$ for the borosilicate glass to make the inner tank.That's more than I had hoped , but I don't really have any choice.It is the best material.

I think I can swing it .. :thumb:

BrainEater

ah yea , it's more than I wanted to spend..I take my 'projects' very seriously tho.The thinktank is already worth thousands of dollars and taken thousands of hours of my time.

The original 'thinktank' is a fishtank, for all intents and purposes , however I'm about 98% sure if I fill it with -80c liquid , it'll shatter.That would be bad.

Borosilicate glass is the correct material for this application.Therfore , it's 500$ well spent.

klaiboi

BrainEater i hope you get this to work and then set a new world record for greatest overclocks lol

I want you to set the record on like 10 different CPU's lol

Eldonko

What is the freeze point of polymer capacitors? I know you will have issues with normal caps around -30 to -50.

Status
Not open for further replies.