What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thinktank Revision 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikitos

Awesome :)

How big is your N2 tank going to be? How much time between refills (estimated)?

Last edited:

BrainEater

Good question mang...I honestly have no idea.

The nitrogen system in this rig is there for 2 reasons ;

1) To provide inert 'fireproof' gas zones where required.This feature is strictly to save money.Technically , this rig should be build with 'explosionproof' motors , switches/computers/sensors etc......However , I can save a lot of cash by just putting these components in a positive nitrogen atmosphere.

2) To provide an inert (read;fireproof again...) gas for the evaporation component of the cooling system.This rig won't just be about dry ice and alcohol...I intend to try and evaporate the alcohol from both tanks as fast as I can.This will increase cooling.....

Now , #1 only needs 2-5 PSI at most , wheras #2 is variable , lets say 30 PSI max...

I'll be running 'K' type tanks.

-----------------

After many hours of burning/grinding/filing/sanding , I have finished the machining on the main tank inner.I reduced the bottom plate diameter by 5/8 of an inch ;

tt2_46.jpg

----

The large keg also underwent a serious grinding , to allow the inner inside hehe...the main dewar is nearly finished.All thats required is the seal between the two , and the vacuum in line.I might put work into some sort of finish , I hav'nt decided....

tt2_47.jpg

This dewar weighs 48 lbs , and has a capacity of 38 litres.It's also fully vented , but you can't see that yet.It's a surprise !!

-----

I have re-assembled the current components into 'planning mode' ;

tt2_48.jpg

----------

I'll have some more pics tomorrow.

:thumb:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
If I only had the smallest idea of what you're doing, I could help... but this is way out of my league.

I might put work into some sort of finish , I hav'nt decided....
"It's Miller Time".

H

HaDeS

If I only had the smallest idea of what you're doing, I could help... but this is way out of my league.

"It's Miller Time".

He's building a bomb that he is calling the think tank. He plans to wipe out all his friends at one sitting after feeding us beers and.... BOOOOOOM!

Mibs

My god...I can't believe I missed this thread until now! BrainEater this is truly amazing...more updates please!

BrainEater

I just realized I havn't actually fully laid out the plans...sheesh...I probably should eh....Some of this is probably evident , but I should lay it all out.

Ok , the main part of this is to re-build my submersion cooled computer , so that it runs cold.I always wanted the thing to be an overclocking rig.

-Rather than the Midel7131 dielectric oil I used in the original Thinktank , I'm going to use anhydrous Isopropanol.There's 2 reasons for this : 1) operating temp and 2) materials compatibility.

Isopropanol will tolerate the the -80c of dry ice , and this really is the realm I'd like the machine to operate in , and isopropanol is toatally compatible with 99% of electronic components...and silicone sealant...etc....

Almost everything else stems from the fluid change.All the work you are seeing , is a result of either a) providing a coolant loop designed for dry ice/-80c ( I.e. insulation etc ) and b) safety revolving around the use of a flammable coolant.

The last thing I'm incorporating in this design , is almost a spinoff of the safety thing.

Between the co2 output of the dry ice , and the n2 output of the fire safety system , there is another safety hazard : suffocation from displaced o2.As a result of this , the offgases are going to be fully vented with solvent recovery.

As a result of this venting , with some minor tweaks , I can use evaporation cooling as well.This is how Michael Faraday achieved -110c.....Basically , I use the n2 and the vent system to evaporate the iso.....This add's to the cooling.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Thank you for the explanation and the link to the original version - though I'm still lost. ROFL

Could you use one of the overall pics and show what role will each component play in the grand scheme of things? I'm a visual guy, you know...

matsta31

Think tank 1 was amazong, think thank 2 is just crazy. Just to think about it : gaming computer mixed with flammable and suffocation... :punk:

BrainEater

Ok...

Here is the lable'd photo.

tt2_48b.jpg

----------

Here is the breakdown ;

A : This is the thinktank proper.

-This is what the new glass (and the esoteric silicone)is for.I am building an 'inner' glass tank inside the one you see.The space between the two glass tanks will be filled with nitrogen.

- The motherboard (p5k-se,Intel e6600,mushkin d9gmh ((2x512 Gb)),video yet-to-be-determined) goes into this glass tank.The whole works will be fully submerged : The glass tank is full of Isopropanol when running.

- The upper section of the lian-li pc-65 is where the PSU,Single WD raptor HDD and Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon LCD will be housed.

-There will also be both N2 input lines , and vent lines , but I havn't made em yet so......

B : This is the coolant resevoir.It's the keg/stainless pipe assembly shown above.
-This is just a fancy insulated container.It's just like a 'thermos'.Vacuum is the best Insulator there is.Period.....so you put 1 container inside another , and establish a vacuum between the two....see here for more info....

-The pump(not yet built)goes inside this resevoir.

C : Related to 'B' these are just the lines that circulate the iso from the res to the computer.They are vacuum insulated lines.

D : This is the solvent recovery tank.
-When I get the vent lines made , they feed into this first.It gets filled with dry ice as well , to condense the iso out of the vented air/gas.Waste not , want not.

E: This is the monitoring computer.
-This rig runs the MO MX-222 Display ( G ) which will take care of all temperature monitoring above -50 C.......

-My USB Instruments Digital 'scope will also be running from this rig.....

F: Vacuum manifold.Basic valve control of each vacuum bit ; tank and pipes.

H: future home of the n2 manifold.

-----

You'll have to take this layout as temporary at best.The vent lines will affect a lot , but this'll do for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.