What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

this is the unofficial odd or random question thread

sswilson

Staff member
I've ordered online glasses in the past, but only as seconds once I had a full prescription filled at costco so that I had all the fitting numbers already on hand and measured.

Bifocals might be a bit tricky to get the viewing point(s) correct for an online order as that's something they measure on you specifically with the glasses you've chosen and then mark the premium transition point on the physical glasses you've chosen.

sswilson

Staff member
Resurrecting this for a random question......

I'm looking for recommendations for full page white adhesive "label" products which won't smear laser toner characters. Basically I want to print off the key bindings of keyboards that no longer have the stock keycaps and apply those to the bottom of the keyboard. I'm currently using stock printing paper map tacked to the bottom of the keyboard but I'm thinking that a white sticker/label with the text printed on it would be a more elegant solution.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this product, but I'm concerned about whether or not the toner will properly adhere or if I'd see smudging....

Anybody have experience with these kinds of products? Specific products that you know work (from first hand knowledge)?

Izerous

Folding Team

I'm looking for recommendations for full page white adhesive "label" products which won't smear laser toner characters. Basically I want to print off the key bindings of keyboards that no longer have the stock keycaps and apply those to the bottom of the keyboard. I'm currently using stock printing paper map tacked to the bottom of the keyboard but I'm thinking that a white sticker/label with the text printed on it would be a more elegant solution.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this product, but I'm concerned about whether or not the toner will properly adhere or if I'd see smudging....

Anybody have experience with these kinds of products? Specific products that you know work (from first hand knowledge)?
Can you post a picture of an example of what you are actually doing. I feel like a cold lamination of regular paper might be the better solution to this problem as the printing would be sealed, protected and impossible to smudge but that might not work with your actual execution.

sswilson

Staff member
Can you post a picture of an example of what you are actually doing. I feel like a cold lamination of regular paper might be the better solution to this problem as the printing would be sealed, protected and impossible to smudge but that might not work with your actual execution.

1701287761892.jpeg

That's basically what I'm talking about, and I think I'm currently doing what you're suggesting by printing on normal paper and then securing it to the keyboard with map tack.

edit: and that is a perfect example of why I'd like to try it on a vinyl sheet. It will lay perfectly flat.

Izerous

Folding Team
I had to look up what map tack was which lead me into military posts about transparent shelf liners and other things. But yeah that is pretty close to what I was imagining doing with cold lamination. My only other experience with that label paper is putting inkjet labels for CDs into a laser printer and being a smeary mess first time I touched them even after letting them sit a while before I touched them. I did find it easier with the label printer and a paper tray to only load a single sheet at a time but that only fixed feeding issues not the print smearing.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I had to look up what map tack was which lead me into military posts about transparent shelf liners and other things. But yeah that is pretty close to what I was imagining doing with cold lamination. My only other experience with that label paper is putting inkjet labels for CDs into a laser printer and being a smeary mess first time I touched them even after letting them sit a while before I touched them. I did find it easier with the label printer and a paper try to only load a single sheet at a time but that only fixed feeding issues not the print smearing.

Yeah, your previous experience is pretty much in line with my concern(s) and why I'm asking if anybody has had any luck with these kinds of products.

sswilson

Staff member

So I bit the bullet and just grabbed a package of these to try.

20231209_175926.jpg

Laser doesn't seem to smudge although only time will tell if it lasts. Couldn't do the full width sticker on this model as I had to leave access to the control switches.

Latest posts