What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

THIS is Why Nvidia Should Add MORE VRAM!

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

It looks like AMD had the right idea by increasing the Vram size on pretty much all of its cards. With 16gb on the high end with the 6800 and 6900 series, and 12gb on the midrange 6700 models, you can be sure to be able to play pretty much any games at the highest resolutions without any issues. I mean not at the highest FPS but still, they can load pretty much everything.

That’s Unlike Nvidia who unfortunately chose to stick to anywhere from 8 to 12GB for most of its models. So why am I mentioning this ? Well, Far cry 6 just came out, and you have the option to download an HD Texture pack for the game. The problem ? The game requires 11GB of Vram to play nice with all the new features enabled like ray tracing, and the texture pack in 4k. That means that for Nvidia cards, a good chunk of the lineup like the 3060 ti, 3070,3070 ti and 3080 wont be optimal. Whereas a 3060 shouldn’t have any issues. Now, What kind of issues ? Well, as noted by DSOgaming, some textures might revert back to the non HD versions and some might simply fail to load at 4k. At 1440p thought, that’s not too much of an issue.

Dwayne

AMD sponsored game has "optional" HD textures that take up a lot of VRAM... hmm, almost like they did that on purpose, eh?

I would never turn down more VRAM, and I expect that NVidia will likely respond by upping the VRAM on their next generation, but this is more of a gimmick than anything else.

Bond007

AMD sponsored game has "optional" HD textures that take up a lot of VRAM... hmm, almost like they did that on purpose, eh?

I would never turn down more VRAM, and I expect that NVidia will likely respond by upping the VRAM on their next generation, but this is more of a gimmick than anything else.

I see where you are coming from with this, and it is possible, but I would hardly call it a gimmick. The textures do seem notably improved, and I do get that kind of quality has to take up vram. And it only seems to be an issue at 4k with HD textures.

Dwayne

I see where you are coming from with this, and it is possible, but I would hardly call it a gimmick. The textures do seem notably improved, and I do get that kind of quality has to take up vram. And it only seems to be an issue at 4k with HD textures.

I have no data, but I can imagine that the size of the HD files can be manipulated to the degree that is required to have more VRAM. Lets say no attempt to "make it fit" under 12 GB, or less.

After watching some of the videos this week showing that the ultra settings are barely noticeable, I have my doubts that adding more fidelity would be objectively better.

Solace

So when optimized HD textures come out and no one can tell the difference, no one will care. Though this does eat into my multi tasking abilities if I were to play one of those titles... damn.

I've yet to watch that ultra vs high video, I can almost gurantee that its more click bait and selective titles chosen as most games I've played in the past have had distinguisbable differences in quality between high and ultra. I generally turned down shadows/shaders a notch while retaining ultra if it was ever performance impacting.

edit: wasted 5 minutes of my life watching some of it. Small sample of selective games and the definition of "dumb" as the click bait title is relative to the end user experience. People wanting to have a immersive experience and a 20% hit for a game that is still "playable" without hitches is not defined as "dumb" by anyone's standards. Almost on par with people posting about Windows 11 performance hit with the recent update just for those views...

60 fps average is "playable" and the lows are not even significantly different on a 3080. Now paying for a TI or 3090 to hit that 10% bump at 60fps. Now that could be listed as "dumb" but hey there are already hundreds of videos and comments that acknowledge this.

Last edited: