What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thoughts on to ditch or just mod Dell Core i7 tower of my buds

terrybear

Banned
Pickin some brains here if you's don't mind? :haha::biggrin:

I sold my friend a Dell Dimension XPS 8300 system that had a Core i7 860 & 8 gigs of generic ram & low end videocard just over a year ago.

Of course the question then is, Is it worth it to him more to yank the cpu & put it with a good 1156 box with, ram, case, powersupply, good motherboard & cooler. Oc the snot out of it & sell the leftovers.

OR

sell the unit as a whole & dump it into a whole new 1155 platform?

thanks. :thumb:

Last edited:

MARSTG

You will obviously loose some money by selling it, but what do you need it for? I would go first route, good mobo, PSU and cooling. I would not add case or ram to the problem as the cost will rise a lot, unless you find a really cheap Antec 900 (I seen them on kijiji/craigslist for 40-60$), the ram issue can be solved by keeping the ram at low speeds while ovc, otherwise I would go full blown on a new setup. Do a price check on the system, see how much a sale would earn and ask your budyy what would he be willing to shell for a new setup.

dlactin2408

I think it would depend more on what your friend is using the system for. Is he gaming? If so at what resolution? Does he find it slow or just wants to upgrade? If he is not using it for anything spectacular I would just leave it, or do what enaberif suggested and grab a decent GPU and PSU and wait a bit for a bigger upgrade.

terrybear

Banned
Yeah, he mainly games on his systems, BUT he's 1 of these tinkering types that if he thinks its oc'able hell do so till he cant !! LOL :p So the big thing is as some have sugested new higher end power supply & videocard which is what we kinda concluded he could do so far.

enaberif

Yeah, he mainly games on his systems, BUT he's 1 of these tinkering types that if he thinks its oc'able hell do so till he cant !! LOL :p So the big thing is as some have sugested new higher end power supply & videocard which is what we kinda concluded he could do so far.

Get a decent cooler and overclock the cpu then :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
New PSU and GPU and I bet you could still get a lot of use out of that system.
I would tinker vs Full upgrade.

-ST

Wurmer

I agree here, new psu + gpu. The rest of the rig is still plenty capable for gaming or any other less demanding tasks. IMHO, anything of the E8XXX era and up with a decent GPU is still viable today.

Latest posts