What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thunderbird in Windows7 & importing mail

biff

Since I've upgraded to Windows7 I've been using webmail. I wanted to setup a proper email program again and realized win7 doesn't have on so I got thunderbird. Anyway I want to import all my old mail and it's a no go. I go to tools-import tell it to import outlook express mail, then tell it what directory (which was a directory on another drive and not the default) and it comes back and tells me there is 'No mailboxes were found to import'.

Ive tried a bunch of different things ,including a backup of my mail I made before I went to win7 and no dice. I'm probably missing something simple. Help please.

grinder

hi biff...

i'm just speculating here so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

Because win7 does not ship with outlook express i am guessing the Thunderbird "import tool" is seeking some sort of outlook "profile" at the same time too. Because no outlook profile exists (because there is no outlook) it might be screwing with your transition from outlook express to Thunderbird.

I assume there is no way you can access the "old" system to transition to Thunderbird first, then export/import to your win7 install of Thunderbird?

It's a shame you were't using the Microsoft Office version of Outlook.. the transition might have went much smoother.

JD

Staff member
I assume there is no way you can access the "old" system to transition to Thunderbird first, then export/import to your win7 install of Thunderbird?
That would be my suggestion too.

Install Vista or XP (whatever you were using, get Outlook Express back to how it was, then install Thunderbird on it and import. Then you can just copy and transfer the whole Thunderbird profile that's in %AppData%\Mozilla\Thunderbird or something like that.

If you don't have another PC, could also just do a Virtual Machine setup so you don't have to kill Windows 7.

H

HaDeS

Use MS office mail software dude... problem solved. Outlook express is a pain in the ass to export / import to new OS's. So what you wanna use is Outlook. You can easily import outlook express stuff into Outlook (from ms office suite) It will even organize the mail into correct time slots for you once the import is completed. It's also a safer mail app to use when it comes to windows email software. More options for filtering spam, friends, family, etc.

And as far as win7 being a beta OS it kicks the snot out of Vista for still being in beta. Completely solid for me. Also keep in mind 2008 drivers will work on Win7 if you are having any driver issues. Thanks to Grinder for pointing that out.

Latest posts