What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Time for a New Sound Card. Or is it?

Signal2Noise

Hey all.

I'm getting prepared to build up a new Core i5 system over the xmas holiday. I'm replacing just the CPU, mobo to an Asus P7P55D EVO, and 8GB ddr3 ram. I am also thinking of changing out the X-Fi Extreme Gamer soundcard to something else. I've been scouring the www for info, reviews, and user comments on various cards. But in some cases too much information leads to more confusion.

Environment will be Win7 64-bit and gaming=75%, music=20%, movies/whatever=5%. I am not a fan of onboard audio.

I'm trying to keep budget below $150 CDN, could go to $200 if I'm convinced. I am thinking of either sticking with Creative and try out an X-Fi Titanium. Other considerations include the ASUS Xonar D1 (PCI) or DX (PCIe + add'l power), or something from Auzentech but not sure which one. I even briefly looked at HT Omega but am totally unfamiliar with that brand although reviews seem positive.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have a deal on some other hardware sitting in my NCIX cart with the pricepoint expiring in 5 days. So I'd like to add a sound card to that order within that time frame.

Cheers!

odis172

I like the asus audio cards, currently have a d2x, but its a bit overkill. Id personally go with the dx over the d1, as its a little more future proof with the pcie interface.

H

HaDeS

If you are gaming go with the auzentech for EAX5 if you are not gaming go with the Asus. And try to get pci-e most boards have the extra spots for them even if you do sli or xfire.

Sushi Warrior

TBH I would get an Xonar D1, they sound equal to EAX5.0 cards (yes, there are comparisons stating they could not tell the difference or it was negligible). The Xonar is much better in music too.

H

HaDeS

TBH I would get an Xonar D1, they sound equal to EAX5.0 cards (yes, there are comparisons stating they could not tell the difference or it was negligible). The Xonar is much better in music too.
minus the fact that it doesn't work at all? Sorry pal all asus is doing is emulating eax they aren't actually DOING eax. Be prepared to run half of your games in software mode. Cheers. :thumb:

H

HaDeS

i don't know how many games use EAX I know that a bunch of the ones I play use it. Personally I'd rather have an EAX card.

kfcheung

mckchun has Asus Xonar Essence STX in his buy/sell thread

I would recommend Asus Xonar Essence STX for audiophiles:thumb:

Latest posts

Twitter