What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Time for an upgrade .. maybe?

Slik

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
1,131
Location
Sault Ste Marie On.
Well I've had this Visiontek 4870x2 and XFX 4870x2 in CF for a while now. It was doing fine.. until I went up the 3008WFP.

What should I do? Sell the 4870x2's? upgrade to a GTX480 or wait till 104?

Ultimately I'd like to go with a 1 card solution. CF = insane amount of heat and poor scaling.
My friend Killswitch had his rig hooked uo to a Dell 3008 with the same two cards and ran every game he has with no problems at all.Crysis,Stalker,Borderlands etc. Maybe it's not your cards? Could be set up etc.4870s are still very good cards.
 

martin_metal_88

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
4,152
Location
Quebec City
Pretty high res for a computer screen:p I would say sell the 2 card, buy a 5870 and see how it does. If all your game can run without lagging then wait for a price drop and get a second one. Or wait a bit more for GT400 to become real card with plausible heat and resonable power need then sell your cardand buy one GTX and see ( but if you wait your card will have near 0 value ).
 

implosion222

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
809
Location
AB
So many choices.. I think I'm gonna wait and see what Nvidia has in store in Q3 then make a move. This guy I know had 2 GTX 280's and was getting way better frame rates then me in pretty much any games out there.
 

limitedaccess

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
122
Nvidia seems to be going down the line at the moment, a GTS 450 seems to be next. But I have heard rumors of a possible GTX 475?

There is a strong possibility of ATIs 6000 series launching in Q3/Q4 of this year as well.
 

implosion222

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
809
Location
AB
I don't wanna be playing the waiting game for too long either. Next thing you know those 4870x2s will trade for under 100$.
 

limitedaccess

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
122
It is always tricky, I bought a 5770 2 weeks (3 weeks?) before the GTX 460s came out :doh: .

Its not bad, but I'd have preferred paying the extra for GTX 460 performance.
 

kendallcschm

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
465
Location
United States
Pretty high res for a computer screen:p I would say sell the 2 card, buy a 5870 and see how it does. If all your game can run without lagging then wait for a price drop and get a second one. Or wait a bit more for GT400 to become real card with plausible heat and resonable power need then sell your cardand buy one GTX and see ( but if you wait your card will have near 0 value ).
i agree with the buy a 5870 statement.. i was an Nvidia fan but i tried ATI and i have been much more successful and have gotten way better scores on 3DMark and such... now i wouldn't trade my Xfire 5770 setup for anything in the world..
 

Twitter

Top