What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Time to buy a new car!

martin_metal_88

So here is the thing. My girlfriend car is in his last winter ( FINALLY!!! ) so we start to look for a new car that we will bought somewhere between April and october ( depending on deal and finance ). My GF know nothing about car and concidering what she bought last time, it's clear that I am better help in the descision. Unfortunatly, I never bought a car. I know what I want and what she want which is not the same:sad: But I don't know what are the first thing to look at and everything. That's why I ask you, when you buy a car ( probably a new one ) what are the MOST important thing you look for or your little list of point that are important for you?

Thx guys!

jcmaz

Well... I'm a kid, but for my car, I would want...

AWD/4WD
Japanese
Either a SUV or Crossover
Reliable
Decently cheap
Good looking (depends on person...)
Practical

When you get the sum of this, you get the Mitsubishi Outlander :)

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
A vehicle is usually the 2nd largest purchase a person will make, behind a house, so take your time shopping. Pick a car she likes the looks of, then go drive one to see if it's comfortable, and practical for your use. (If it's only 1 or 2 of you in the car all the time, a 2-door is fine. Not if you regularly take all your buddies to hockey:biggrin:).

Don't buy a car either of you hates the looks of, because you will see it and use it every day, and it will bother you. Don't be afraid to try another vehicle in the same style/price range. My wife absolutely wanted a Mazda Tribute, and wouldn't think about any other SUV. So I took her to try one, and before she bought it, I asked her to try a Sante Fe. Same money at the time, and came with lots more features, more comfortable seats, etc. She now drives the Sante Fe. It took her 30 seconds to change her mind once I actually got her to get into one.

Edit: OH! Got a garage or parking spot? Make sure what you are looking at will fit. I just about bought a car last summer that wouldn't have fit in my townhouse garage. It's hard to fit an 18' long car in a 16' long spot.:haha:

CTA

SJ made a very good point...

anyway again, you dont tell us what you are really looking for... i even can recommend you to buy lambo stealth or porsche suv (vw/audi-based suv) ;p

anyway for best luxury sedan ... i highly recommend suzuki kizashi because of value price, power, handling and features... remember suzuki is not working for GM anymore... now is under the vw...

newest gen of ford also made excellent car now... except price...

gm except corvette and some trucks/suv are craps

dont buy honda or toyota... nissan is okay... just old...

btw mitsubishi outlander is crap suv... not better than my brother's old silverado 2500hd... i mean that seat is not terribly comfortable

Last edited:

punk_zappa

Ask her what she wants, car, truck or SUV. Then go from there.

Don't listen to anyone suggesting this or that. Try as much cars as you can since it will be a ways before you buy one. Don't fall for a salesman's puppy eyes as well. Get as much deals as you can like a lifetime oil change for free.

_dangtx_

Banned
well, figure out budget, see what the insurance rape plan is, perhaps fuel consumption if mileage will be elevated, looks,performance.

new car=raw meat. second owner or lease pickup or such maybe a better value. my bud was looking for a bimmer, found a lease take over for him, i think it was 20k km's and hundreds less per month. couldnt tell the difference between a 0km one and that one.

martin_metal_88

Well, the reason why I don't say what I want or what I am looking for is because I want to know what to look for ( like features on the engine and thing like that ). But I will still make you a little list of car that interest me and some for my GF. Again, money is not a issue, we can go up to around 30K and less and we have an outside parking at our app. which we can change for a larger spot if needed.

VW Jetta TDI 2011
Ford Fiesta 2011
Toyota Yaris berlin 2011 ( My GF love it but it's a no go )
Dodge Journey 2011
Jeep Compass
VW Golf TDI
Dodge Caravan
And some other I can't of right now.

For me comfort is a must have like in my father Golf 2009 HO GOD I jizz all the time I drive this car XD I would also love a big car like a crossover or a Caravan since I learned to drive on that and I feel better in it ( I have fear to drive so bigger = better for my mind )

My girlfriend prefer small car.

Finally, for now my preference is to the Dodge journey 2011 with the 3.5L V6 engine. A 4WD will be nice to go to the fishing camp her parent`s have and also I will be able to move thing like new furniture and friend when we have trip. If we opt for a smaller car, it will be between ford Fiesta or VW Jetta.

Once more, is there anything really important to look on every vehicule like I don`t know ( exemple ) the tire type or anything...Like, the salesman wont tell you but you need to know it ( exemple 2 ) fit with every he, the thing that clean the windows XD

CTA

VW Jetta TDI 2011 ( little cheaper, diesel is good...)
Ford Fiesta 2011 (nice but small)
Toyota Yaris berlin 2011 ( My GF love it but it's a no go ) << no way
Dodge Journey 2011 (no way... i dont recommend chrysler due to reliable)
Jeep Compass (no way)
VW Golf TDI (nice and better than tdi but it might be small)
Dodge Caravan (no way)

if you want true awd suv then suzuki grand vitara, nissan xterra, subaru (all models), volvo xc90 or audi q7... (for truck, ford and gm) many suv failed at awd on both snow, ice condition... just check some awd test at youtube

you also can consider volvo, audi and subaru wagon awd too...

edit: i forget about suzuki sx4... it might be cheap and ugly but its fun and good on snow too... so try to take a drive test...

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

Lol SX4 so ugly XD I also find Suzuki a bit expensive for what they offer.

For brand to brand, it`s mostly a matter of preference IMO. My parent have buy many dodge or chrysler over the years and they were all sold after 5 to 10 years in awesome condition ) In my part, I can't stand Chineese or Korean car. No problem with Japan. To me it`s INTOLERABLE that a company just wait other to do thing, copy it and sell it cheaper. Which you can clearly see in asian car market. Also, remember that the Dodge journey is the best selling cross over and I read alot on it and fail to find a long term try like the auto guide that say it was not a good and reliable car. In fact, they all say that they are impressed about it but it`s a bit inconfortable ( which they change in the 2011 ).

If only the VW tiguan was cheaper that would be my choice of exellence :(

Once again, is there anything that you ( because you already buy a car ) know that is important to look at ( not regarding the brand or model )

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
wait, so basically it will mostly be one or two people in it at any time, no kids,pets,nothing?

you could go by a hatch, but they're cramped. how tall are you ppl?

and 4x4/awd...hmm...itll get expensive, but in that 30k budget you could find something decent, like a jeep,real one not pig weight compass lol