What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Time to switch to Win 10?

sa seba

So, the time is coming up for a fresh OS re-install. The question I am asking myself now is whether to use my Win 7 copy for that, spend a few days downloading and installing updates before anything else, or do the switch to Win 10 already.

I am looking forward to a few games coming out next year and beyond that, that will be running DirectX 12, and I am pretty sure that by next christmas I will have my trusty old FX8350 replaced with a Zen or Kabylake/Cannonlake, whose full feature sets will require Win 10.

Now, is anyone still holding on to Win 7? Are the initial reasons to do so still valid, or is Win 10 usable enough to replace 7 for good? It seems that at least the crappy update situation is a non issue in the Pro version.

Cheers,
Sebastian

MARSTG

I am still holding on Win7 but I do contemplate seriously to upgrade to Win10 due to the same gaming issues, a few free games in the Windows store are tempting not to mention that my old game would still work fine. I don't think you need to change the cpu, if anything, DX12 is better multithreaded than dx11 so AMD CPUs from the older generations are finally getting their moments. I rock an i5-750 and was wondering the same thing but I think will wait a bit. If i would upgrade tomorrow it would be a Skylake i3 with one of the Asrock motherboards that have the external clock generator for the cpu overclock, i think they are the Gaming series.

LaughingCrow

Still have a Win 7 gaming and graphics system that I want to keep using but eventually do a clean re-install of the OS and the older software I still want to use plus a older games that won't benefit from Win 10.

Currently I'm having a sporatic USB problem that I haven't been able to track down (although it's looking like a driver conflict). Plus a July Win 7 update broke something in the Windows 7 update that I haven't been able to fix... (maybe because I was trying to avoid the Win 10 stealth upgrade). Have been able to manually update security stuff but with Microsoft trying to bundle updates in a single package, I don't want to mess up the computer worse than it is. Which led me to consider building a new Win 10 gaming system.

MARSTG

Still rocking Win 8.1 here- still no reason to upgrade that I can see. DX12 games remain (last time I looked) few and far between.
Such as?
Forza 6 Apex, the Pagani stuff, Asphalt 8 Airborne, and i want to check the Horizon 3 demo.

Shadowmeph

aparently there are a few out there .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
but I I would like to see a side by side difference between to pc's one with dx11 and other dx12 running the same game. I really doubt there this is a huge difference and also that anyone would actually notice when gaming because at least for me I am so focused on the game that I more then likely wouldn't notice the difference , now maybe going from say dx9 top dx 12 I probably would when gaming.

sswilson

Staff member
Do they intend to release any PC exclusive DX12 titles?

Pretty much every AAA title I've seen recently has been a console port that's severely gimped on PC. If that trend continues I don't see much reason to base any hardware/software purchase on DX12 compatibility.

zoob

Display scaling is one of the best features in Windows 10 that I would hate to lose if I were go to back to 7.

LaughingCrow

Do they intend to release any PC exclusive DX12 titles?

Pretty much every AAA title I've seen recently has been a console port that's severely gimped on PC. If that trend continues I don't see much reason to base any hardware/software purchase on DX12 compatibility.
Good point. My own peeve is the port seems to ignore that a keyboard has more keys than a controller has buttons.

Your post did get me thinking about Microsoft's move to integrate the Xbox One and PC through Win 10 and how and if DX12 figures into that decision. And it seems there's an opinion that DX12 will favor the Xbox One - see bolded text in quote below. So DX12 isn't just for the PC.

Here's a couple of the first articles I located with search for "dx12 and xbox one"

It must be noted than when Microsoft started to plan the architecture of the Xbox One, they had already included a low level API that takes advantage of DX11 libraries. This is something that Bylos reiterates. “Remember that the Xbox One was already optimized to take advantage of DirectX11 at a hardware level,” he stated.

“So the primary advantage of DX12 on Xbox One, in my opinion, will be the optimized draw call pipeline. Which means more things happening on screen – but not necessarily faster or prettier things.”

Bylos further notes that the DX12 will actually help the Xbox One widen its gap from the PS4 in terms of CPU processing power. It’s already known for a while that the Xbox One has a better CPU than the PS4, something that Sony have been trying to optimize via their own SDK updates.
The Park Dev On How DX12 Could Benefit Xbox One Games, Will Widen The Gap Between PS4 And X1 CPUs « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

And there's this lengthy article that goes into details about DX12 and a comparision of Xbox One and PS4 (a lot of which is over my head).

However, DX12 will bring a plethora of features – most of which will probably be visible only to the devs. How soon these trickle into games; will be up to the devs. Sony’s PS4 is an exceptionally powerful machine and already has full to the metal access and Asynchronous Compute. The API it uses is equivalent to or better than the DirectX 12 API – which means that neither does it need the update, nor will the update give the Xbox One any sort of edge.
Exclusive: Xbox One - Potential Impacts of DirectX 12, Asynchronous Compute and Hardware Specifications Explored; Compared with Sony's PS4