What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Time to switch to Win 10?

ipaine

Right now, my big issue with Windows 10 isn't the tracking (I can disable that), it is the updates. And I don't mean how they are forced, although that is terrible, it is that whenever you get the next major build update, it treats it like an in-place upgrade. This approach, could work fine, but doesn't, at least on the machines I have had to deal with. It at best resets all your settings, to worse tanking everything you had installed. I had a guy bring in his laptop to me because after the anniversary update his office 2010 suite was gone, and his old Microsoft solitaire games were gone, as well as the few other little programs. Seriously this is supposed to be just an update yet it causes major issues like this. I mean tanking your own office suite is just pathetic.

Now his machine was fairly new and he doesn't have much on it, I can only imagine the chaos it would have been on a system like mine with hundreds of things installed. So while I would like to have DX12 and the new task manager, it just isn't enough to get me to switch yet.

sswilson

Staff member
Good point. My own peeve is the port seems to ignore that a keyboard has more keys than a controller has buttons.

This is my main gripe along with the UI. If a PC game feels like it needs a controller to play and/or navigate menus then I'm not interested. Port the graphics if you must.... but send it to the PC dev team before adding any controls or UI so that it ends up PC centric (KB/M).

OTOH, that doesn't seem to be the biggest issue of late.... folks are finding out that there's a reason why PC console ports are being released with console FPS restrictions baked in by default. Devs aren't optimizing for PC hardware and all the new games seem to perform abysmally on even the highest end PC hardware.

Last edited:

MARSTG

Devs aren't optimizing for PC hardware and all the new games seem to perform abysmally on even the highest end PC hardware.
Yep which makes me wonder if the devs are going to take their work seriously and optimize for more PC hardware?

Shadowmeph

win 10 has forced updates ? at least can you schedule them so that if you are doing something like online gaming the update doesn't kick in and get your toon killed? years ago back in the XP days I used to hate it when something like Norton would update and I would be playing competitive ET with my clan and ended up dieing because of the stupid update killing my connection lagging me out

sa seba

I believe with the Pro version, you can hold off on updates and schedule them properly if so desired. This is what I might get. Still undecided.

sswilson

Staff member
I believe with the Pro version, you can hold off on updates and schedule them properly if so desired. This is what I might get. Still undecided.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe that applies to security updates.

The biggest issue ATM with the forced updates is that they've reduced the "don't restart" window to a max of 8 hours and even that doesn't prevent the updates from downloading whenever they please.

You can however set your connection to metered, but I'm sure that only works for so long before MS decides to override that.

lowfat

Staff member
I haven't installed updates on one of my Windows 10 (Pro) boxes since the anniversary update. It keeps telling me I need to but I just close the window.

LaughingCrow

I am leery of Win 10 (and in spite of that building new comp for Win 10 - must be crazy).

Are there any problems for Win 10 updates/downloads for computers not constantly connected? Like laptops and people who switch between multiple systems or are not online frequently? Several people I know/play games with, have to log off, reboot, fix something or reset drivers after an update.

Are there less issues with the 1607 anniversary update version than other?

I built a little dual-core primarily for surfing and movies, light computing tasks, etc. After a series of failed updates with Win 7, a failed repair, and several days of problems trying to re-install Windows, I dropped in a Live Linux DVD and was online in a few minutes. So I dumped Win 7 on that system and haven't any serious problems since with that computer. Other than the lack of AAA game titles and Gimp isn't Photoshop, etc. it's been refreshing to mostly just use a computer instead of wrestling with the OS and drivers and updates, etc. And it's a nice reliable backup when I do run into problems on the other computer.

I keep wanting to call Microsoft and remind them this is my computer (as if anyone there would listen).

Tyrann

I have windows 10 and the biggest issue initially was dpi scaling but it has since been fixed. I have no issues in games (CS/WoW/Overwatch/Witcher 3/DA:I/BF3). I think if u do get win 10, then it has to be the Pro version. Pro version is the only one that allows you some control for updates.