What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tips for memorizing commands for CLI?

Black_Ice-Dragon

Ive been using linux more and more and im starting ti feel comfortable with the CLI, but what im struggling with is memorizing certain commands. Usually this isnt too bad and inly a google search away. But ive been running into issues with recently ttying to test out zfs on linux.

What I want to do is move away from freenas and build my own. But the documentation is fairly sparse and im not always comfortable trying to slap commands together until something works.

So my quetion is, anyone whonworks with cli do you have any tups for becoming more comfortable and learning cli?

lowfat

Staff member
Practice IMO. It is is something specific then I'll often have to look something up on the internet again. I do keep a bookmark folder w/ a bunch of Linux stuff that id likely need to refer to if I had to clean install again.

JD

Staff member
Probably the easiest would be to ditch Windows as your primary OS and use Linux full time (outside of gaming and maybe specific apps). I find with anything, if I'm not constantly doing it, I'll forget.

Izerous

Folding Team
I find it helps to tie a phrase/name to the commands, don't just think of "cd" as "it moves me around"

Think of it more like
cd |Current Directory
mkdir | MaKe DIRectory
cp | CoPy

pretty basic examples but it's what I tend to try and do.

Latest posts

Twitter