What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

tj.max released for i7 cpu

MpG

Huh? I can't seem to find the TjMax figure anywhere? Even in the documentation?

Although, for what it's worth, I seem to recall reading some time ago that the new chips would contain their TjMax value in an on-chip address that could be accessed by any temp monitoring program, making the issue largely moot.

M

member 3099

Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached.

67.9°C

MpG

That's a design temperature rating, not TjMax, as defined with the previous generation of chips, where the DTS reports provided an offset, rather than a concrete value. My own 920's been breaking 80 routinely without any throttling of any kind.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Thermal Specification:... It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. ...

67.9°C

As stated, that's not TJmax, which is core temperature related. That's the target temp on the outside surface of the heatspreader at max TDP wattage.

gingerbee

As stated, that's not TJmax, which is core temperature related. That's the target temp on the outside surface of the heatspreader at max TDP wattage.
that is correct but with this number you can calculate all others and it is the thermal center of the top of the ihs which you can't measure when it's running hence the only number they give now because core max temps can vary

Latest posts