What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Top mount radiator - what would I need?

J

JayDee

I've seen some pics here where the H20 radiator was mounted on the top of the case. I did several searches on google and didn't hit paydirt so I thought I'd ask here :biggrin:

From pics I've seen it seems like it would be fairly easy.
1) I'd need to drill enough holes for stand-off screws to hold the radiator suspended in place.
2) Dremel out an opening for power leads to the fans (I'm thinking a tripple rad)
3) Dremel out 2 openings for the in/out H20 tubes to access the RAD.

Can anyone shed some light for me or direct me to a site with a guide?

I have a steel Thermaltake Armor case and I might have trouble woking with the space at the top of the case but I think I can manage.

sswilson

Staff member
Do you want an actual stand-off mount (like mine which is the first picture in the case thread.... :) ) or would you prefer a top mount directly attached to the top of the case? (Babr did this with a 240 on his antec case).

If you are planning on direct top mount vice a stand off on you just need to cut the top of the case to match the fans you are going to use and then direct the barbs downwards into the case.

If you want to do a stand-off mount like I did, I would suggest making the holes for the hoses larger than the hose and then using some form of grommet so that the hose isn't directly in contact with the metal.

As far as a guide goes..... Babr did a pretty good build log for his direct top mount, and you might be able to dig my build log up over at DIY-Street (same username.... :) ).

J

JayDee

Thanks sswilson :)

I'll check those out those builds.
Your standoff model is what I was thinking of for unlimited cool air.

J

JayDee

@sswilson - I checked out your build at the DIY Street forums and that looks like exactly what I was expecting = Thanks :)

From the pics it looks like you used 6 nuts, 6 bolts and 6 spacers to elevate the RAD and keep it in place - Unfortunately I'll have to wait till I have the new H20 stuff in hand before I can seach Home Depot/Canadian Tire for the right hardware.

I think I might try to do a worklog to post here - first try at that and first try at H20 so it should be... interesting :p

J

JayDee

Another question sswilson: I see you use the Thermaltake bigwater - did you use the coolant that came with it? I said in post above it is my first attempt at H20 = almost. I had a TT Bigwater that had multiple problems and the pump died after 24 hours use - but I still have 2 bottles of coolant from that rig. Do you (or anyone else) recommend that I use that coolant in the new H2O I'm building?

sswilson

Staff member
That is the coolant I used, but I'll let others chime in with that recommendation. There might be an issue with corrosion as each manufacturer claims that you have to use their own "special" formula. (If it were me... I'd use it.... :) ).

Depending on what you find for spacers you may want to get large close tolerance washers for under/over them. It'll add a lot more stability.

J

JayDee

Thanks again sswilson. I have it already so I'll use it. I've been reading everything under the sun about additives (yes/no/good/bad/...) and that leads me to believe there is no clear/definitive answer...

Apollo4g

Mines top monted

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01231.jpg
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/Apollo4g/?action=view&current=DSC01231.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
What did you use between the top rad and the top of the case?

Not dissin' your build, but it looks like it's only held on with 4 screws/bolts at that point, and that it might benefit from some support at the back.

Looks pretty cool though, you're running two full loops right?

Apollo4g

Latest posts