What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Total PCI-E Lanes Z690 Chipset + CPU

rjbarker

I have googled this to death...another "Bobzone" question ....
- How man total PCI-E Lanes for CPU (12th Gen)
- How many total PCI-E Lanes PCH

20 ? or more ?

Thanks....

rjbarker

Perfect thanks Bond...so if Im reading the diagram correctly:
CPU - 20 Lanes (between GPU and M.2 SSD (x4.0)
PCH - either 12 lanes 4.0 or 16 lanes 3.0

This would explain how Im able to populate both of my onboard M.2 Drives on my Apex and still maintain X16 for GPU (top slot PCI-E_1).

Bond007

It is a bit of a confusing one (why I shared the link and not answered), but I read it as you mentioned.

I am not sure exactly how the "or" scenarios are implemented (if it is hard wired per the motherboard, or based what you have connected).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team

28 off the Chipset (max).

16 PCIE 5.0 off the CPU
4 PCIE 4.0 off the CPU

rjbarker

It is a bit of a confusing one (why I shared the link and not answered), but I read it as you mentioned.

I am not sure exactly how the "or" scenarios are implemented (if it is hard wired per the motherboard, or based what you have connected).

Yeah usually I can figure this out fairly easily....really all Im ever interested in his how many and which M.2 Slots on a Mobo I can populate and still maintain X16 speed on the GPU (PCI-E_1)......this time around I want to populate 2 slots.

Motherboards all seem to be different as to how they share lanes between CPU and PCH amongst the M.2 slots on the Board.
Took me awhile to figure out if my Apex Board will be ok with populating M.2_1 with 980 Pro 512G (OS) and M.2_2 with 980 Pro 1TB (games) and populate PCI-E_1 3080Ti x16.....
So may different answers around and the diagrams given seem to jive with the Boards manual, but in all honesty would be nice if the Mobo manuals clearly illustrated this.....

I know my scenario will work though as someone at ROG physically tried it and sent me some screenshots indicating what I had thought.

Although no rush at this point as DDR5 continues to be evasive ;) .....kind of a drag as Canada Computers seems to have all sorts of choices of DDR5 but ONLY in bundles.....tempting!!!! ...then what try and sell a Board!

EDIT: Never mind, even though CC shows bundles in stock you can get right to checkout then " No stock".....here we fvckin go again....RTX30xx series flashback :) ...guess I'll just be sitting on this HW until Feb / March 22!

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The GPU1 and x4 are both off the CPU.

You wont affect your GPU1 no matter what you do on the board.

rjbarker

The GPU1 and x4 are both off the CPU.

You wont affect your GPU1 no matter what you do on the board.

Unless I utilize the additional Hyper M.2 Expansion Card they provide for additional M.2 5.0 Drives that plugs into the PCI-E_2 slot...I believe that will knock PCI-E_1 down to x8....but I have no intentions of that...I may try the DIMM Card for M.2 drives though...should be ok as its PCH .....maybe...I think so...maybe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter