What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tower UPS on it's side?

lowfat

Staff member
I have a rackmount UPS in mys server setup. But getting it to shutdown my VM's in ESXi over the network connection is making me want to bang my head against a wall because the new software version seems to require a always online management server in running under windows to make it work. But as for using it for outside of ESXi thier software seems to work pretty great from what ive heard. My UPS has saved me alot of trouble with my server by allowing to to handle brownouts and it regulates the voltage full time so I always know my stuff is getting clean power.
Have you tried using NUT?

Have a VM / container run the NUT server, then all the VMs/containers run a nut client. The server sends the shutdown commands to all the clients.

Black_Ice-Dragon

Have you tried using NUT?

Have a VM / container run the NUT server, then all the VMs/containers run a nut client. The server sends the shutdown commands to all the clients.

Havent seen that before. Ill have a look.

Install the UPS esxi appliance. Both my esxi servers shut down no problem during power outages

I do have the VM running. The previous version prior to ESXi 6.7 seemed to work , but with the new one the vm seems to be more of a client than manager for those settings. The last time I had a power outage the system never shutdown and the battery just ran dry and hard shut down everything. Though now that you mention it ive gone back through the settings in there and just noticed a setting for shutting down the ESXI server. MIght have to test the shutdown mechanism here again.

Is there a specfic setting you use to make the shutdown work? Also are you using powerpanel business V4.X?

Izerous

Folding Team
The automated shutdown feature is nice usually it is a serial to USB cable so a modern desktop can still make use of it. I tend to buy the ones with active power filtering due to past accommodations having really poor quality of power.

Typical consumer units are limited by the fact they are expected to be plugged into a 15A plug.

At one point I was looking at 20A models due to the power twin oc'ed 6990s and an oc'ed 1100T were capable of drawing under full load as it would overdraw the top 15A units. However the cost jumps drastically for those units as you mainly need to start looking at commercial grade units.

Thankfully when the batteries die usually pretty cheap to swap them out.

supaflyx3

Havent seen that before. Ill have a look.

I do have the VM running. The previous version prior to ESXi 6.7 seemed to work , but with the new one the vm seems to be more of a client than manager for those settings. The last time I had a power outage the system never shutdown and the battery just ran dry and hard shut down everything. Though now that you mention it ive gone back through the settings in there and just noticed a setting for shutting down the ESXI server. MIght have to test the shutdown mechanism here again.

Is there a specfic setting you use to make the shutdown work? Also are you using powerpanel business V4.X?
I'm using powerchute network shutdown

KaptCrunch

Some where on server is a 9 pin UPS to USB COMPUTER pin out. note is for older UPS units, newer use USB

Latest posts