What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Transfer files between two remote computers. Linux and Win10

biggyk

So I rent a seedbox (remote file server) that runs linux and I use ssh on my windows desktop along with lftp to grab the files off the seedbox to my local media server (ubuntu server) and it works well.

My issue I have is I have another remote machine (windows 10) that I want to transfer files from the seedbox to. Currently Im having to remote desktop into that machine then then just filezilla to transfer. Its a pain as sometimes I end up kicking off the user that may be currently using that machine. Is there a simpler non intrusive way to use ftp between the linux seedbox and that remote windows 10 machine? I managed to install openssh on the win10 machine but havent had any luck getting ftp to work.

Mike

Shadowmeph

on the filezilla forums they are saying that filezilla doesn't currently support windrows 10 https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=35028 but a few people suggested using compatibility mode ( right click on filezilla using compatibility mode windows 7) another person said that the older versions of filezilla worked on windows 10 but I would be a little worried about bugs

JD

Staff member
Setup a shared folder on your Win10 system, easiest would be to give "Everyone" full control permissions.

Then from your Ubuntu server, mount the a CIFS share. Depending on permissions you set on Windows, you may need to include the username/password of the Windows account. Something like this:
Code:
mount.cifs //192.168.1.1/share ~/share/ -o rw username=XYXY,password=XYXYXY
Then you should just be able to copy files like it is directly attached to the Ubuntu server.

So in this case, from your Ubuntu server, you'd still connect to your seedbox, but instead of copying to the local server, you'll copy to the mounted CIFS share path.

Shadowmeph

Setup a shared folder on your Win10 system, easiest would be to give "Everyone" full control permissions.

Then from your Ubuntu server, mount the a CIFS share. Depending on permissions you set on Windows, you may need to include the username/password of the Windows account. Something like this:
Code:
Then you should just be able to copy files like it is directly attached to the Ubuntu server.

So in this case, from your Ubuntu server, you'd still connect to your seedbox, but instead of copying to the local server, you'll copy to the mounted CIFS share path.
oh right thats what you do . it has been a while.

attonbitusira

Code:

This is a good idea. The only thing I would add is that it is better practice to use the credentials=filename
syntax in your /etc/fstab file.

Then you can point to a file like /root/credentials.txt which contains the username and password in this format:

username=value
password=value

If you wanted to go one step further you could mount your seedbox remotely from your private ubuntu server and then move data between the various mount points.

biggyk

Cool will look into that. That wouldnt affect speed from seedbox to win10 desktop?

supaflyx3

That solution will only work if you VPN your remote windows 10 machine in to the same network as the seedbox. What you want to setup is bittorrent sync. I haven't played with it much so I can't give you any pointers, but its capable of mirroring folders over multiple networks.

ipaine

I use bittorrent sync. For example I have a comics folder that has everything on the one machine. Then on another machine I can see placeholders for all of the files and then just choose to sync each one. Or you can have it automatically sync certain folders. So if you can put bt sync on your seedbox then you could just set a folder on it that you would only have to drop the files you want the windows 10 machine to get into. Also at the same time I have it on my phone as well and can grab stuff on there. Although I'm not totally sure if it will do what you want exactly.

Or forget remote desktop and get teamviewer and then set the windows 10 machine for unattended access. Then you have a couple options, either you can remote in and you won't bump anyone off, but you will be able to see everything they are doing and you would interrupt them a little, just not completely bump them off. You can also transfer files across machines without completely logging on and it completes in the background. At least it is another option to look at.