What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Transfering old SSD to X570 motherboard

sherwind2010

So you can't use old SSD/HDD from older chipset to the newer X570 mother's? It won't boot it shows the SSD in BIOS, can't select it in boot priority. It shows the SSD as an option if I want to install a fresh OS. So no easy peasy OS SSD PC Swap/Transfer anymore? I never tried it with X470 chipsets, is it the same? I did it all the time with older chipsets like z68 Intel.

JD

Staff member
I don't see why X470 to X570 wouldn't work though... did you try installing the latest AMD chipset drivers beforehand?

MARSTG

I guess he wants to boot from it directly and the OS is missing the AMD SMBus driver for the X570, which he probably didn't install prior to the swap. Rookie mistake .

gingerbee

you have to turn CSM on its compatibility system mode I think. I couldn't find my drives unless they were UEFI I think that's what it was but once I turned CSM on all of them showed up. this was on Asus

Shadowmeph

I remember a long time ago in the XP days there used to be issues say from going from AMD to Intel now days with Newer os from win 7 and on the compatibility are pretty decent just look at the size of the newer OS's they pretty much have everything in them so after it boots up just check for updates that should search for the proper chip set. as of lately I went from MAd board and Nvid card to Intel board and AMD vidcard with only very slight issues but that was because the vidcard was at that time new 480 series vidcard and they had issues with the drivers

sherwind2010

I just used my SSD from another Intel motherboard to my new X470 motherboard and it booted up and asked me if I want to activate windows. It doesn't work like that with this X570 motherboard tried it with both my SSD's, updated BIOS and doesn't boot only shows up installing windows 10 just goes into BIOS after post. No option to boot from SSD.

nToxik

I always recommend a fresh install when switching motherboards.

gingerbee

cause the x570 is setup for Uefi only hence why I said if you enable CSM non Uefi setups of windows with show up with the drive and you can boot from them.

This is the way it is with Asus anywho. I can't speak for other boards

I just used my SSD from another Intel motherboard to my new X470 motherboard and it booted up and asked me if I want to activate windows. It doesn't work like that with this X570 motherboard tried it with both my SSD's, updated BIOS and doesn't boot only shows up installing windows 10 just goes into BIOS after post. No option to boot from SSD.

sherwind2010

cause the x570 is setup for Uefi only hence why I said if you enable CSM non Uefi setups of windows with show up with the drive and you can boot from them.

This is the way it is with Asus anywho. I can't speak for other boards

They go and make this change and don't TELUS? That Asus, eh? why not just keep it Uefi & Legacy together like on X470...

Latest posts