What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tri Sli 280's / OC'd I7 n Corsair HX 1kW

rjbarker

Well broke down and picked up the 3rd GTX 280...couldn't resist the $285 price for SC version...so far OC's well enough to match my other two SSC versions. Anyhoo...no problems so far for the HX 1kW powering everytihng, enough for a Vantage run ......
Just the heat...whooaa....may have to shut this sucka down till Oct :).........

MpG

Do you have access to a kill-o-watt or similar? Be interesting to see some real numbers when doing some artificial stresses (i.e. Prime95/Furmark).

rjbarker

Sorry, I don't MpG.........Temps get pretty outrageous just running Vantage though...the lowest Card not too bad...idles at 39c...middle n top idle 46c all temps with Fan at 60%.
Vantage run the upper 2 Cards were around 76c and bottom 62c w Fan at 75%.........
Pretty toasty in my upstairs room.

kruzn4evr

Those temps don't really sound that bad all things considered RJ. Its going to be noisy but crank the fan speeds up to 80% and see what the temps are under load. These 280's run pretty warm no matter what, maybe try rigging a couple of 120mm fans pointing at/over/under, the more air flow you can get the better :thumb:

Oh yeah, your PSU should be fine for running tri

rjbarker

Yeah it is quite warm in this upstairs room...was +26c outside today....likely pushing 28c in this room.
With GPU Fans at 80% and a Vantage run:
Top Card
Idle: 49c Full Vantage Load: 76c
Middle Card
Idle: 49c Full Vantage Load: 77c
Bottom Card
Idle: 41c Full Vantage Load: 64c

Oh well...knew it would be warm.....couple of months things will be cooling off.

btw
FC2 1920 x 1200 Res all Ultra High - No AA / AF - 118 FPS (with 2 x SLI same settings was 103 FPS) - slight increase.

Definitely is pretty cool though :)

DarKStar

1.2Kw - wow - I hope his computer is on a dedicated breaker LOL one of these days our computers will run on the 220V circuits !

Tri-SLI, can you imagine the noise when all 3 fans are at 100%, I hope you have a good pair of noise insulated headphones when playing games - you must have a nice utility bill ! :D

kruzn4evr

Well, my 3 280's are on WC'ing so I don't have the noise issue and the UPS along with being on a dedicated breaker means I don't even worry about power ;)

rjbarker

The noise from all 3 Fans surprisingly enough isn't all that bad at all.....80% is fine no need for 100%.......not much audible difference between 1,2 or 3 GPU's really...in all three cases sounds like a nice "woooosshhh"....

Hydro Bill...haven't given it much thought really.....but I certainly don't game for marathon periods of time at all and these Cards are all "downclocked" when Word Processing or surfing...

Latest posts