What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Triggering fans on coolant temperature instead of CPU temps?

clshades

There is an efficiency range for every type of pumped water, be it for cooling or heating. Pumping the water too fast can have a negative effect by not allowing the rad enough time to do it's job.

The same principle is mathematically applied for heating as well.

Flow rate is everything. I have experimented with this in the past with my D5 and a knob style pump speed adjuster with a simple thermometer.

You can also monitor your cpu temp and dial in the speed rather quickly. I set mine for loaded cpu and left it. Every single system is going to be different. That's important to understand.

* Side note: the d5 was about half speed for lowest possible temp. I had 2x 360 rads, both in pushpull

Last edited:

bjcsoln

Entz, thanks for that video - I understand his rationale (around the higher pump speed and how it relates to the mechanical design of the block heat-sinks).

I will try and play around with this to see if I can replicate his experiments to see if I can get similar results.

Overall though, it looks like my CPU isn't going bast 52c (GPU hasn't reached 50c yet) so I think I have a pretty good balance around the rad/block/fan ratio

bjcsoln

And then just checking in on the BIOS, it looks like the default setting for the pump is 100% and since I can't hear it at all (and I have never had a problem with EK gear) I will just leave it there.

clshades

My cpu is never higher than 35c with an AIO. 50 seems a little high for water cooling.

KaptCrunch

all depends on your loop capacity to disapate heat and setup of cooling system. for coolant temp you can use
ASUS fan extention card that has 3 x thermistor cables you can epoxy in a TEE fitting to monitor temp of coolant.

other have current version of Qfan software

oh sure you have loop fully burb'ed and no air pockets in loop

power only pump and shake rattle and roll tower to move air out of loop, make sure you don't run pump dry , keep topping up rez

something to look at

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
all depends on your loop capacity to disapate heat and setup of cooling system. for coolant temp you can use
ASUS fan extention card that has 3 x thermistor cables you can epoxy in a TEE fitting to monitor temp of coolant.

other have current version of Qfan software
A lot of Asus motherboards also have a thermistor header. Even my rather cheap Prime X570-Pro has one.

bjcsoln

CL - out of curiosity, what is the rad config with the AIO (2 x 120?, 3x120 etc). Right now I have a 5x120 to support at 3900XT and 2080TI. Some people thought that ration might be a little low, and under regular load the CPU reports around 35c - 40c, and the GPU pretty much stays at 33c, which is the same temp as the coolant.

I might try and crank the fans up a bit (they are running around 60%) just to see if it makes a difference. Its nice that I can't hear them now (go silent wing 3s), so boosting them a bit probably won't make a difference (at least from a sound perspective)

KaptCrunch

all in the AIR flow ........outside air put through rad (s) is best

what setup are we talking here

clshades

@bjcsoln
A 240 with only 2 fans pushing in. Top mount. I'm curious if you ran water to the GPU 1st?
My 2x360 build ran rad to rad to CPU to MOBO to gpu to pump. Best setup I ever had by light years.

5 cores should be more than enough to cool you setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter