What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Triggering fans on coolant temperature instead of CPU temps?

bjcsoln

Right now loop goes as follows: 3x120 rad, pump, 2x120 rad, 3900xt, 2080TI. And what's interesting, I just cranked the fans up to full and while (again still can't hear them - nothing but love for Silent Wing3s), what I am seeing now is more stable and lower CPU temps. Just using Star Citizen as a benchmark, sitting in AC, with the fans at half speed the water continued to heat (got up to about 36c) while the CPU went up to about 50c).

Cranking the fans to 100%, the CPU hovered around 39c, and the water topped off about 32ish.

Overall (and again thanks for all the input here) there are a lot of different contributing factors, and I think the concept of keeping the pump at max (to get as much liquid across the small fins in the blocks as per the video the Entz posted), combined with enough air across the rads when they need it is going to keep this rig floating under 40C and silent as heck.

clshades

I think the rads I was using had very little restriction for air movement. What's the term again? Low FPI?
I'm interested in the fans you're using. They sound interesting.

bjcsoln

I am using Siling Wing3 1450 RPMs from BeQuiet. I had them in my last rig as well, and its amazing how quiet they really are so naturally they went into this new rig.

bjcsoln

I think the rads I was using had very little restriction for air movement. What's the term again? Low FPI?
I'm interested in the fans you're using. They sound interesting.
Side note - I haven't prepped my last rig yet for selling, but I do have one spare in-box never been opened SL3 fan if you are interested. I could pop it in a bag and send it to Calgary for like $15 bucks or so...

clshades

Side note - I haven't prepped my last rig yet for selling, but I do have one spare in-box never been opened SL3 fan if you are interested. I could pop it in a bag and send it to Calgary for like $15 bucks or so...
I'm in Kelowna now, but Yeh man I'd be interested in trying one out. Call it 20?