What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Triple Channel RAM Questions

sswilson

Staff member
I'm using triple channel ram (OCZ 1600 7-7-7) on my 790FX board without any apparent problems.

bojangles

Absolutely it's ok. The sticks have just been tested from the same batch and have been verified. It's not like they have special code to only allow Triple Channel. That's why when you're trouble shooting you can take out one or two sticks to find dead ones. :p

Basically what you're doing is you're getting an extra stick.

Silvgearx

so...........

one can use a 6 gb kit on an I5 board too, you get the 6gb, just not in triple channel.

right?

and how much does timing and mhz effects performances?

just in games?

bojangles

If you buy a triple channel kit for a chipset that only supports dual channel, then only 2 of the 3 stick will be in dual channel mode. now if it's a crappy motherboard, if you have a kit set in dual channel, but an extra stick in, it may disable dual channel.

Are you buying a triple channel kit just for the sake of price since dual and triple channel kits are about the same price?

MHz has more of an effect on performance than timings do, but the lower the timings the better. There is a very minimal effect in games.

Silvgearx

its just that i got a set of mushkin ascent triple channel sitting here :bleh:

Latest posts