What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Triple monitor set up

Zipocal

Hi All - Hope you are safe and well.

I am building a gaming / productivity set up and am considering triple monitors. I've done a bunch of research and really cant find the answer to this one.

My main center monitor is a 27'' LG GL850. It has a 144hz refresh rate and x1440 resolution with gsync and freesync. I'd like to add two other monitors to the right and left. I am wondering if I can save a little bit of money and get a 60hz 1440 IPS for these as they will mainly be for web browsing while the center monitor will be for gaming.

The question is, can I run different refresh rates efficiently between the three monitors at 1440p or even at 1080p or will this cause performance issues / stuttering. If not, will a three monitor 144hz x1440 be too taxing on the video card. My new rig has a single RTX 2070 Super and it supports up to 4 monitors / x4320.

Appreciate the advice!

Lysrin

Welcome to the forum!

If you are trying to use all three monitors to game on at the same time, you will have issues. Potential issues with refresh rates and with horsepower for three 1440 displays from your 2070, depending on what you play. Refresh rates would likely have to all be set the same, but I have no personal experience with that. Since games only give you a single refresh rate setting, you'd have to run on all monitors with the lowest common refresh rate. Gaming across monitors with different resolutions may be possible, but it is going to be tricky and support will vary depending on the game. Generally for multi-monitor gaming you want matched monitors; resolution and refresh rate.

However, if as you say, you are only running the game on the centre monitor and the others are for other things, no issue at all with that. You can have whatever resolution/refresh rate set up you want for the other monitors. For example I run a 3440x1440 100 Hz monitor as my main, with my games running there. And I have a 1080p 60 Hz monitor mounted above that where I run whatever else. Both monitors work flawlessly in and out of games for that use case. My main runs at 100 Hz and my additional monitor at 60 Hz. In Windows, Linux, no problems.

Your 2070 won't have any issues at all running the extra displays if you are not gaming across them all at the same time. If you ran three 2560x1440 monitors, then you are going to have trouble pushing high frames per second on high setting in newer triple A games.

draemn

^ short answer:
Yes, you can run different refresh rates and resolutions on each monitor. You do NOT want to do this with nvidia surround for gaming on 3 monitors at once.

Mr. Friendly

due to the different resolutions and refresh rates, you don't want to game or watch movies across all of them simultaneously. that's just asking for trouble and misery!

Izerous

Folding Team
even all 3 having identical resolutions and refresh rates not having all 3 identical can really mess up multi-monitor gaming expreiences. Color reporudciotn on one might be slightly different than another, bezels different shades of black etc. All that kind of thing can really mess up the experience.

Latest posts

Twitter