What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Troubleshooting a mic/headset

phrenicthenub

Hey folks,

Having some trouble setting up my headset mic with my build, using the Asus M4A78-E mobo. The mic is a fairly simple Plantronics headset, that definitely works (using it without a hitch on my other computer). Sound out is fine..

But with my new build I just haven't had any luck with the sound in. I haven't been able to get it work in either Windows 7 or XP. Nothing on Windows Sound Recorder, same thing with Skype. I've looked through the control panel settings, skype settings..nothing's muted and I don't know what else to try. Is there any check through list that would help identify the problem? A checklist or any other ideas of things to try? Is there a way of seeing if the mic itself is detected? Maybe the jack doesn't work?

I've been playing around for a while and I wonder if it's worth just picking up a cheapo soundcard or switching to a USB mic to see if that would fix the problem. :blarg:

Here's the audio info from Asus's site:

# Audio Output Sound card
# Audio codec VIA VT1708S
# Sound Output Mode 7.1 channel surround
# Audio output compliant standards High Definition Audio

Any help appreciated!

Thund3rball

I don't know what audio driver that MB uses but when I had problems with mic/headset/speakers not working properly it was a setting in my Realtec driver. I would check your audio driver.

Here's a forum for VIA audio chipset. Your particular chipset seems to be a common theme on it. :(

Audio Arena - Via Forums

phrenicthenub

Thanks for the reply! Fortunately, after weeks of struggling and stopgap measures like using a 2nd computer, I have resolved the issue myself.

But it was purely my own stupidity:

Problem exists between keyboard and chair...

Turns out on my headset there is a physical mute toggle on it. No kidding. Turns out when I unmute it...I get sound again.

Thanks for the help nonetheless. :) I've worked with and on computers in the past..really..

Latest posts

Twitter