What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tuning individual fans for better overall coverage?

sswilson

Staff member
Here's a question for anybody out there who knows a bit about airflow dynamics....

Hypothetically (mainly because I'm not sure I'm interested in trying to test this.... ;) ) if you're using the 3 top fans of a case to exhaust and your only active intake is from the 3 fans at the front of the case... does it make sense that you'd want to tune the fan curve of the furthest upper fan a little higher in order to compensate for the fact that the closer two fans are getting first kick at the cat for the fresh air coming in from the front?

Does that make sense or am I completely off base?

Soultribunal

Staff member
Here's a question for anybody out there who knows a bit about airflow dynamics....

Hypothetically (mainly because I'm not sure I'm interested in trying to test this.... ;) ) if you're using the 3 top fans of a case to exhaust and your only active intake is from the 3 fans at the front of the case... does it make sense that you'd want to tune the fan curve of the furthest upper fan a little higher in order to compensate for the fact that the closer two fans are getting first kick at the cat for the fresh air coming in from the front?

Does that make sense or am I completely off base?

I don't think in the grand scheme of things it matters too greatly. I've experimented with so many fan configurations over the years that I don't believe it would matter in that case. Even if you have a few active fans there is enough air coming from other points on the case that I wouldn't be worried.

That being said, I do suggest having the front active intake fans running faster than the upper exhaust ones to help create a more positive pressure environment in the case.
That helps greatly with dust over the course of your systems life.

My thoughts at least,

-ST

Lysrin

I see what you are getting at, but I think I would agree with ST, that over all it wouldn't make a significant difference in your performance or temps. It isn't a closed, sealed system so changing individual fan speeds in a bank of fans I wouldn't expect to be very noticeable.

But you could certainly try it as an experiment! ;)

sswilson

Staff member
That's kind of what I was expecting, especially since it's a "passive" draw across the motherboard components as opposed to an active push. I do however have the one closest to the front tied to my nvme as opposed to cpu temps. (Still deciding if I need to put the small active cooling fan back onto that now that I've got it in the upright slot.

Main reason I'm asking is that the commander pro gives me a hell of a lot of individualized options.

enaberif

The biggest issue is air drop off.

At what range does the RPM of a fan provide enough air flow to make a real difference?

If you ran a 120mm fan at 800rpm would it move enough air through the case at a reasonable rate to have good air exhange in the case? Maybe it would need to be at 1200rpm?

Then your sacrificing noise levels for air movement.

Bond007

Not worth the effort in my mind. From all my playing and reading I can summarize with:

- with a rad you get better temps as an intake
- with air cooling exhaust fans give better temps than intakes for the cpu, but
- negative pressure = more dust, and positive pressure = less dust
- in some cases certain fans interfere with each other a bit and worsen results (ex some top exhausts rob too much air from air coolers fans when close by)

Also keep in mind that the air doesn’t come straight out the exhaust side of the fans, but spreads out almost like a V from it.

justmehereajax

I like the idea. I used to buy lots of fan controllers. Some 4 channels. Tons of single ones. Fanmate zalman.

I was interested in creating positive pressure to keep the dust out. I hate cleaning my pcs.

But at the end it is all about fan noise for me.i don’t buy the best fans. I don’t buy fans so cheaply made from eBay no more. I figure as long as it spins I am ok lol.

I installed a side fan to my server that I cut out from the side panel. It helped cool my expansion cards ie Nic But I run all extra fans of the server at 5 volts. I think it had negative pressure because there is quite a bit of dust every time I open it up

freeagent

I hate to be that guy and go against the grain but..

For the most part it seems todays popular fans don't really move a lot of air. I see people impressed by 60 cfm.. might as well just stick your head in the case and blow :doh:

We, as overclockers need to go back to our roots. We need to forget about fashion, and disco lights. We need to remember we are overclockers. And we deal with high wattage, high performance machines. And manufacturers lie about tdp lol.

We all need to use good old fashioned server fans, 120x38s for everyone! All the airflow. All the static pressure :shok:

I also like Thermalright fans, they too move some good air. :thumb:

KaptCrunch

Best for coolest temp is bring in outside air through the rad in water set-up.

Yes air across motherboard helps a lot

Smoke method will show air currents (empty case)

Also take consideration heat rises

enaberif

I hate to be that guy and go against the grain but..

For the most part it seems todays popular fans don't really move a lot of air. I see people impressed by 60 cfm.. might as well just stick your head in the case and blow :doh:

We, as overclockers need to go back to our roots. We need to forget about fashion, and disco lights. We need to remember we are overclockers. And we deal with high wattage, high performance machines. And manufacturers lie about tdp lol.

We all need to use good old fashioned server fans, 120x38s for everyone! All the airflow. All the static pressure :shok:

I also like Thermalright fans, they too move some good air. :thumb:

I've got 3 120x38 fans that I no longer use, but they'll easily shred tissue paper and cut you bad.

Latest posts