What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

TV Debate

Polygon

so what did you guys think?

any clear winners of the debate? did the debate affect your judgement? has this debate changed anything?

And please, vote! :canadianwave:

_dangtx_

Banned
debate,what debate...and if there is voting, ill vote for the one to stop these daily bs calls 'plz vote x or y' and especially the home visits.

i had..whats his name, the dude in me area at my door,and his hwole frikkin team..sent them flying...you shouldve seen the look on there faces

JayDeeHobbit

Harper won big time IMO. The other three tried to pile on and he took it all and stayed on his message = the economy and another stupid election.

When Layton told the Iggster that he was away from parliament 70 percent of the time I thought Iggy was going to crap his shorts... lol
That's the same parliament he said over and over and over that Harper didn't respect and is the issue nobody cares about. Dust off the passport Iggy it's time to head south again.

Desiato

I think Harper's lipstick was too pink.. and that he kind of looked like a cross between emperor palpatine and cancer man from x-files. but maybe that's just his mystique.

stoanee

Folding Team
I am not sure why there is so much importance associated with these debates. I find them boring & without substance as they repeat their platform over and over.

Polygon

Harper won big time IMO. The other three tried to pile on and he took it all and stayed on his message = the economy and another stupid election.

When Layton told the Iggster that he was away from parliament 70 percent of the time I thought Iggy was going to crap his shorts... lol
That's the same parliament he said over and over and over that Harper didn't respect and is the issue nobody cares about. Dust off the passport Iggy it's time to head south again.

yeah I agree. It's like Harper was the only one who actually understood how to debate. Harper was looking into the camera, as if speaking to all Canadians, and speaking in a calm and well mannered way. Everyone else was just yelling at him like crybabies. The impression I got was: Harper = mature and strong. Others = winning crybabies who can't work together. Except, I think Iggy also made some good points and some dirt on harper. And this is all coming from someone who isn't voting for Harper.

Anyways, we'll probably get the same results as last election, this debate was very similar to the last one aswell. IMO.

My two cents

chrisk

Folding Captain
I like watching them but this is my 'as unbiased as possible' opinion of how it went:

- Harper did not do too bad, but it was awkward how he kept looking at the camera when answering and talking to the other leaders. It just felt really awkward, or even creepy in some socially awkward manner. That said, he was under attack the whole time and did a good job staying on his message. His worst moment was the 2004 coalition defense, but the topic was changed so he survived it.

- Ignatieff did OK but did not land the 'blow' to Harper he needed. Worst moment was the Layton attendance comment. He could easily have said he was out there meeting Canadians, etc. but he seemed ratted by the comment. Other than that, not bad, but not the one he needed.

- Layton landed the best blow (the Ignatieff comment), but other than that had a hard time getting his platform and message out. I have seen him better.

- I have seen Duceppe better. Loved the "congratulations on taking your first question from a citizen" comment, but he had a hard time being clear and jumped on too many topics when answering one question.

In the end, none of the leaders did anything to really change the vote. But the debates rarely do.

Looks like the election will still hinge on the issues that brought us here in the first place(and the ones that spring up like yesterday), and not the debate this time.

DkRk

Yeah, Jack's 'attendance' comment was hilarious. I'd never vote for the guy, but I always have to give him props for actually keeping things somewhat engaging. I also enjoy how Jack paints the Liberals and Conservatives as one and the same. Placing him between Iggy and Harper was also interesting, as he could easily take both men to task.

Harper facing the camera is weird in a debate setting, but he and his handlers know most people will just be watching the clips during the ten o'clock news. So it's effective politicking on his part to address an audience. I also found it interesting how he was positioned; he was able to make any 'coalition' statements and motion towards all three of his opponents in a line.

I think the real loser was Ignatieff. Not because he was bad; in fact, he had some good points, but he never then turned to the camera and then presented a Liberal alternative. He really had to make a point in trying to court people in the center-right crowd, and while he made attempts by highlighting Harper's spending habits, he didn't come across as sincere as he could have.

JayDeeHobbit

It looks like a mini majority here that thinks the Iggy attendance comment hurt him.

The main message I heard from Iggy had was the "contempt of parliament" which he seemed to spam over and over (was probably his stratagy going in that it would be an issue to put Harper off balance so he kept on plugging it)
But really do you know anyone who has this contempt issue as a primary reason for whom they vote? So it seemed to me he was punching at the wind over and over on a dead issue. Add to that that the attendance comment doesn't exactly indicate the he has much respect for parliament or he would be there more = his own non-issue bites him in the butt.

So if you compare Iggys "contempt" issue that he kept plugging with Harpers "economy" issue that he kept plugging = which issue do you think is more important to Canadians and will generate more votes?

Iggy is DOA if this debate decides the election IMO.

BTW I won't be voting Conservative either but Harper sure seemed like he cleaned house on Iggy to me.

Shadowmeph

I tried to watch the Debate for as long as I could but BS meter was going crazy with all the NDP BS and Liberal BS and common why is the Bloc even in the Federal Gov, I posted this question on the Blocs site no one can give me an answer I posted at every new paper that I could find, I even Emailed BCTV CBC not one of them would answer me as to Why the Bloc is even Federal. almost every thing that was said that was an attack against the Conservatives seemed very uneducated , I still will Vote Conservative nad the reason is because they are the best of all the evils right now.

Latest posts