What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

TV?

sswilson

Staff member
This is a fairly new piece of kit so folks probably don't have experience with it, but the short answer is "yes" it should work fine.

That said.... if it's for a desktop system you'd be better served to pick up a PCI card tuner solution.

Not only will a pci card tuner provide better bandwidth, it will also provide you with more functionality in both hardware features and connectivity.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
i agree with sswilson, a pci tuner is always superior to a usb one. Usb tv tuner decode via software and that is Very cpu intensive, we're talking 50-60 % cpu utilization for SD tv and 80-100% for HDTV. On the other hand, if you buy a pci tuner with a Hardware decoder, then you'll see those percentages cut in half, At least! I use a ATI Theater 650 HDTV in my current system and can watch SD tv at <10% utilization, Watch hdtv at 20-30% and Record HDTV at around 40-50%. Hope the info helps!

Scratch

:thumb: ok I ordered this ATI TV Wonder 650 Theater PCI TV Tuner Card ATSC NTSC HDTV FM and some Buffalo memory that was onsale. Now I am reading something about an antenae for HD?

Last edited:

pscout

Fallen Folder
I have a bunch of ATI AIW's ... mostly agp but also an x600 and x1900 in my sons rig. I don't think he is using it for hdtv tho ... he has an hd pvr and lcd tv now ... the aiw is just an input to them i think. He has HD via cable so no experience with antennas.

My AIW tuner experience's were pretty good so hopefully your HD one is too :biggrin:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yes we do have OTA (over the air) hdtv broadcasts and (depending how far south you are in canada) you can get the american ones as well. I, myself, live in montreal and have been able to get channels like nbchd, tsnhd, abchd, etc using moderate to high sensitivity antennas. But dont go for one of those cheezy indoor ones made of plastic. If you really wanna get the most channels possible you have to get an outdoor one and stick it as high up as possible. Im going to be getting the Channel Master 4228 which is a 60 mile+ hdtv antenna which should give some impressive results.... hehe.

PS: Dont forget that UHF (hdtv) antennas are directional.... so point em south for those american channels dammit! hehe. (or towards wherever you wanna get channels from)

Last edited:

Scratch

well i'm still clueless to the acronyms lol but I suspect there to be a learning curve :)

In Victoria I'm actually at the 48th parelel so am directly across from Bellingham Washington f not a little lower and Port Angelas is only 28km across the Strait of Juan de Fuca
Now I just have to decide the size of LCD to get :bananafunky:

Latest posts