What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

two 1GB+one 2GB= 3.12GB?

laplapmax

hey guys,
i just bought a 2GB kingston DDR2 800HMz and i put it to work with two 1GB DDR2 800HMZ RMA.
However, the system only detect 3.12GB Ram.
I m using a Win7 pro 32bits.
HELP!:punk::punk:

laplapmax

oh that's suck..
then why Microsoft creats such verison?
what are the benifits of this verison?
since the 32bits can ready up to 4GB//
then how come the system only accesses 3.12GB?
do i have to turn off the onboard video card memory or it's fixed?

Last edited:

Stock

Your graphics card shares memory with your RAM. Anyways, I wouldn't be too worried depending on what you're doing (pretty safe for most games, internet browsing/email/watching shows).

Arinoth

Staff member
Any 32 bit operating system can only address 2^32 bits of information. This means it can nominally address 4GB, and seeing as windows dedicates any RAM in a 32 bit system over 3GB towards hardware you'll never be able to see/actively use 4GB.

laplapmax

Any 32 bit operating system can only address 2^32 bits of information. This means it can nominally address 4GB, and seeing as windows dedicates any RAM in a 32 bit system over 3GB towards hardware you'll never be able to see/actively use 4GB.
I get it now
thanks.!

Arinoth

Staff member
No problem, due to my background i know quite a bit about basic architecture for computer systems, especially memory mapping and addressing.

enaberif

Your not going to see any real advantage of using more than 3gb of ram unless you do some heavy tasking programs.

Latest posts

Twitter