What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Two or four STICKS?

Entz

Should be fine. Without memory scaling benchmarks it hard to say exactly but AMD themselves used 2x8GB DDR4-3600 in their own PR benchmarks so its a pretty safe bet that is where you want to be.

Cptn Vortex

Technically, 4Dimms is slightly faster, but you're introducing roughly double the chances of facing issues (2x the amount of sticks that could error/fail).

GeezerGamer

Hey Entz, You write "should be fine", that I can understand and I hope it is so?
Thanks for the link Vortex but damm I'm having a tough time understanding all this RAM info!
I read some other stuff and will continue to do so.
I just want to know I'm good to go here......timings 18-22-22-42....WTF:)

cheers

Entz

I only meant that there is so much unknown right now without seeing the test results. This will be the first 16-core "desktop" part etc. If your were buying a 3950X today that would indeed be a very solid combo, so I cannot see any reason why it wont be for the 5950X.

I quite like that board, though I am a mATX guy.

JD

Staff member
I just want to know I'm good to go here......timings 18-22-22-42....WTF:)
Those are not great timings, I would probably exchange if you can...

For 3600MHz, you should get CL16. Or you can step down to 3200MHz but CL14. Those seem to be the "sweet" spots for Ryzen today. Uncertain what Ryzen 5000 holds though if it's anything like the 4000 APUs, then you can probably do 3800MHz+ memory.

GeezerGamer

Thanks JD,
I have 14 days to return, no problem. Feeling uneasy about my RAM now!
Forget about cost for now but what about these three options?
Timings for first one.........15 15 15 36
Timings for second one...15 15 15 36
Timings for third...............unknown

Please help

Dwayne

Here is a discussion on good memory for Ryzen by Buildzoid from Acually Hardcore Overclocking. With the idea that you are going to tune your memory, and OC it a bit to get the best performance.

Mem sticks at 17:10. He rambles but you can get the gist :)

He basically says you really want 16-16-16-36 timings (for the specific kit he is looking at). The kit he recommends is the one in my build and it is overpriced but should have Samsung B Die chips, which are the gold standard from what I understand.

Bond007

Thanks JD,
I have 14 days to return, no problem. Feeling uneasy about my RAM now!
Forget about cost for now but what about these three options?
Timings for first one.........15 15 15 36
Timings for second one...15 15 15 36
Timings for third...............unknown

Please help

Are any or all of them on the motherboard qvl? If you are spending that much on ram you will want to make sure it is on the qvl.

JD

Staff member
Corsair RAM, in my mind, is overpriced, I'd go with any of these 3 personally:

Crucial BL2K16G36C16U4BL. I believe this is Micron E-die based on this Reddit post

G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC. I use this myself with my 3900X, it's Hynix DJR, which is not great for overclocking.

G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-32GTZN. Might be B-die since its 16-16-16-36, but not certain.

But I see you posted some 64GB kits there as well, are you looking at moving up to that?

Latest posts