What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ubiquiti lite ap slow speeds

gingerbee

Ok well, I don't know what to say here I set it up as a standalone device it is running but I am getting slower speeds then the AP it is replacing.

Plus I bought all new cat 6 cables to run for it that easily get 1000mbps on wired connections and I have set the bandwidth on the AP to 40mhz for 2.4g and 80mhz for 5g.

Even so, 2.4 is maxing at 30 to 40 Mbps and 5g is 60 to 80 Mbps. So unless I am doing something wrong here or this thing last me forever I don't see why Ubiquiti gets talked up so much I really hope I am wrong ( or doing something wrong )

Just had to much bad luck when it comes to tech stuff lately any advice or help would be greatly accepted. thanks all for reading

lowfat

Staff member
I do believe that Ubiquiti is over hyped. But their APs are good. On the controller, you can scan for what frequencies are saturated in the APs settings. Then you can choose frequency ranges that are the least used.

gingerbee

thanks ya I am starting to think the same not that I didn't need a new AP just glad I didn't but the HDnano @200. I am getting slightly better speeds now after it's been hooked up for a little bit but nothing near what I was thinking I was going to get.

But I am alone using the mobile app maybe there less control with it. funny thing is I am sitting 10 feet away from it clear line of sight and 2g is getting better speeds then 5g lol well at least it works

Entz

That seems extremely low. There has to be a setting or something that is off. I am not familiar with the AP lite though. The nice thing about the dedicated controller is you can use its speed test vs an external one like speedtest.net to rule out internet gremlins. At least on the mobile app side anyways.

My NanoHD can do 500mbit + without much fuss (more likely ipad limited then device).

Izerous

Folding Team
Something my boss ran into at home with his Ubiquiti is one of the several laptops that float around his house gets horrendous speeds. It is not an issue of signal strength, distance to AP etc but that one laptop will not connect to it at a reasonable speed. He can set up his older erro mesh stuff as a test and that laptop will connect to it at full speed.

He suspects it is a firmware / driver issue with the laptop but I don't think he has it working quite right yet but it remains an issue only connecting to the Ubiquiti setup.

gingerbee

Ya, it might be my coda 4582U rogers modem/router cause for some reason I can't bring up the connected devices list on wired or wireless but the good thing is the range on it so far is much better then what my old AP was. the mobile app is very basic and I have the AP setup as standalone device not sure if or what that may affect with Ubiquiti AP's
edit

Thanks for the heads up Izerous but I am checking on 3 different devices right now an old chrome book a 3-year-old laptop and my Huawei p10 lite will use the wife's brand new Xiaomi when she gets up but all are getting the same speeds sometimes a peak around 80 on the 5g but that it. oh and there no one else on this internet right now so speeds aren't going somewhere else

edit 2

checked cables all is good there not sure what the deal is but hopefully I will figure it out

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
I clarified some points the one he is having issues with is actually an AC Pro, and I was thinking it was an MSI laptop but instead it is one of those special form factor trident desktops. I doesn't seem relevant in your case but wanted to mention it for clarification.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
gb...just to check, but is it a UAP-AC-Lite or by chance one from the previous gen that is actually slower? I've had that happen...customer see a mostly correct p/n and buys, but turns out it's previous gen and was slow as molassas.

gingerbee

yes it is the lite but the speed are way better then what I am getting the lite is 300mbps 2g max and 867mbps 5g. no, it's not last-gen

JD

Staff member
Are you running the latest firmware and controller? They continuously are improving and fixing things. I follow the beta releases on all my AP's. I have an AC-LR, AC-M and nanoHD, they all average around 350-450Mbps (using the Speedtest.net app) depending where I am in the house. I've never been as fortunate as some that get 500Mbps+ though, but my house was built in the 50's and the few walls I've taken down seem to have some sort of metal mesh and plaster over top.

I wouldn't advise 40MHz on 2.4GHz though, usually just means more interference as you're overlapping channels. Generally 20MHz will be more stable and stick to channels 1, 6, 11 as they're non-overlapping. Ubiquiti's auto seems to pick channels in between which isn't great for you or neighboring networks.

On your 5GHz side, auto might be picking DFS channels which have limited power output and can sometimes go into blocking mode if there's radar nearby. For 80MHz width, I think it's really just 42 and 155 that don't overlap.

Latest posts