What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ubiquiti lite ap slow speeds

Entz

Dynamic Frequency Selection . What JD was talking about earlier. The TLDR is if you have lots of radar around it will be switching frequencies a lot, may cause you to pickup interference from other APs and you will get lots of alerts. These will show up as alerts (and can be emailed to you) in the clooud management software..

I will use the Cisco definition since its quite good.

DFS is the process of detecting radar signals that must be protected against interference from 5GHz (802.11a/n/ac/h) radios, by dynamically switching the operating frequency of the 5GHz radio to one that does not interfere with radar. Transmit Power Control (TPC) is similarly used to adapt the transmission power of a radio based on regulatory requirements and range information. Certified devices have the ability to enable DFS to take advantage of additional channel options, while listening for radar communication to dynamically update their radio settings if necessary.

DFS-enabled radios monitor the operating frequency for radar signals. If radar signals are detected on the channel, the wireless device takes these steps:

1. Blocks new transmissions on the channel.
  2. Broadcasts an 802.11h channel-switch announcement.
  3. Disassociates remaining client devices.
  4. Access Point selects a different channel permitted within the regulatory domain.
  5. After the DFS non-occupancy period has been reached for the original DFS channel, if no clients are associated it will move back to the original DFS channel and scan for 60 seconds. If there are no radar signals on the new channel, the wireless device enables beacons and accepts client associations. The non-occupancy period is defined by the regulatory domain but in most cases is 30 minutes.

Reactions: JD

gingerbee

think I know why its not working will get to it this weekend thanks to all

thanks, entz ya I know what your talking about and yes there are loads of other internet ap around me I live downtown Orillia plus the opp station is right down the street so I think radar is also a problem

will tackle this again tomorrow once I rebuild my pc

gingerbee

Ok besides resetting the AP which I may have to do I was able to get it running much better than before. I do think it's not showing up in the controller software because I set it up as a stand-alone device so it can't be seen by the controller software.

I have gotten speeds better by manually set the 2.4g and 5g setting to what online said but still not anywhere near the 100's of Mbps but its rock stable and range is good thanks all

gingerbee

Ya I counted AP around me 16 different ap and 2 others are mine plus I am right at the main st corner that has wifi camera's and radar plus their Orillia wifi down the block so very well could be

lcdguy

Folding Team
If you're in a densely populated area with lots of chance for interference in 2.4 it's likely not worth using that band unless there are devices you want to connect that don't support 5ghz.

The controller will also give you more detailed control I think of the wifi settings for things like beacon interval, output power, etc.

gingerbee

I am starting to think this is the problem and there only a couple of devices we need on 2g most of the laptops our on 5g so it's working ok better than the last one that would overheat and drop connections all the time

gingerbee

the crazy thing, everything you all said I found on Ubiquiti forums on the web I have switched all my settings to the ones you recommend. 2g on 20mhz on channel 11 5g on 80mhz on channel 155 and so far it's working well I am getting better speeds, not in the 100's of Mbps but much better than before.

I am 100% sure all my problems came from the fact I set it up as a standalone device is why I can't see it in my controller software to adopt it.
Once i get around all the other things I have to do in the house I think I may reset it to see if I can get better speeds.

I am so use to the way other router/ap companies do there stuff and Ubiquiti just does is pretty differently is what had me so screwed up that and trying to solve 3 other pc problems in my house at the same time ( had a huge brain fart ). sometimes on bad days, the pain is so bad my brain almost doesn't work sucks but oh well

But I do say setting it up standalone was super easy it was up and running in like 5 mins

Thanks to all for taking the time I know I can be a pain. I hate networking stuff so much I make it harder than it needs to be so thanks to all for all the help :)

gingerbee

Just to update not trying to bring a dead thread back from the dead, I found out that all the hardware that I was using to receive the wifi signal from the AP is older and slower.

I have seen higher speeds with newer wifi adapters still not what it should be but I chalk that up to me setting it up standalone which I still haven't changed just cause its working fine for the devices I have in the house.

the lesson here don't do what I did even down to the way I mounted it ( I put it on a wall. should be on the ceiling )

1 install the software to a pc on the same network ( of course )

2 then setup the AP and use said software to adopt it and you will be good.

3 mount it the way they say to mount it.

done it's that simple I made this way harder then it needed to be I just read to many different setups and mixed them up

Also if you live in a very busy area for wifi signals like I do don't think you will get the exact speed they say you won't IMHO