What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ubiquiti Switch Flex Mini?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'm on the road for work and somehow I missed this thread....

I've had a flex mini in my UI setup since July. I plugged it in (via my 16 port POE UI Switch) and adpoted it.

Plugged devices in. Works.

Great switch, zero issues, as should be expected from a switch.

I'll be buying a second for a particular spot in my basement setup that I dont want to run a second line to (its just for the printer & nV shield, and some network thing my wife uses) because they dont need the bandwidth, and zero chance of a bottleneck.

sswilson

Staff member

Gonna give that a try. (Already have some mounts for the Cloud Key printed off... :) ).

Izerous

Folding Team
And that being said, most don't like how the switch in the UDMP was implemented either, I guess people were hoping for 8 individual interfaces, not sharing a 1G "uplink".
As a programmer my networking is a bit rusty I deal with a lot of it from the device and server side but less so with the actual network itself. Basically the 1G connection is basically shared between all the ports then? 2 connections going full bore would mean each can only in theory hit 500mb in a perfect world? Are the SFP+ ports limited in some way as well?

I just about ordered two of these Flex-mini's until I realized they were only PoE in not in+out. Being able to shove 2 in the attic. 1 to power the access points and 1 to power future cameras seemed like a really good idea especially at that price.

sswilson

Staff member
As a programmer my networking is a bit rusty I deal with a lot of it from the device and server side but less so with the actual network itself. Basically the 1G connection is basically shared between all the ports then? 2 connections going full bore would mean each can only in theory hit 500mb in a perfect world? Are the SFP+ ports limited in some way as well?

I just about ordered two of these Flex-mini's until I realized they were only PoE in not in+out. Being able to shove 2 in the attic. 1 to power the access points and 1 to power future cameras seemed like a really good idea especially at that price.

Yeah, I looked at that kinda sideways when I first saw this switch and had to re-read what it was saying before I realised that it wasn't a POE out switch. I've been shopping online for switches (PoE or not) for the last week or so and there were a few like this that initially looked like they were a PoE switch but ended up only being PoE powered.

JD

Staff member
The "full" $120 USW-Flex does though, still pretty good value IMO, plus its weatherproof so likely a better choice for the attic anyhow.

Correct, I believe the concern was that even between switch ports it would be capped in a similar fashion whereas a traditional switch is able to do full speed between ports. I'm not sure if anyone ever tested/proved this though.

sswilson

Staff member

Gonna give that a try. (Already have some mounts for the Cloud Key printed off... :) ).

Worked like a charm along with this for the cloud key:

I'm surprised at how tiny this bloody thing is. It's got a volume of 154 cubic mm vice 237 cubic mm for the 5 port switch it replaced (which was already a pretty small piece of kit).

Definitely going to order a couple more to replace the remaining 8 port netgear switch.

Last edited: