What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UDM Pro

JD

Staff member
Since I figure there might be some interest, my UDM Pro came today (next day shipping basically) as it came from Brampton to Toronto via Purolator.

First off, packaging is really nice, definitely consumer oriented I'd say, not what you'd really care for in a datacenter environment. Includes rack cage nuts too, along with rubber feet, power cable, rack ears:

1594938279579.png

First plugging it in, issues already began 🤣 . I had to SSH into it (root:ubnt) and set the date (date -u MMDDHHmmYYYY) as it would not detect an Internet connection no matter what options I selected. Ideally I want to use SFP w/ PPPoE for my Bell Fibe connection, but I plugged my Cable modem in as well to the RJ45 port thinking it would help. It of course defaulted to that and carried on with the setup...

It ran a speed test (yay 21Mbps/5Mbps of my backup cable connection) and proceeded to upgrade the firmware.

1594939523837.png

Next problem, it remained on this screen in my browser:

1594938561159.png

Even though it had finished upgrading based on the LCD (thanks for that feature). Opened a new tab and was back in.

Decided to do a factory reset at this point though, it upgraded to 1.7.2 automatically. Now the wizard experience had changed a little bit, a touch more polished and additional option for sending statistic information to Ubiquiti along with automatically enabled the "auto optimization" feature. Still wasn't able to use SFP for Internet though :(

Upgraded to 1.8.0-rc7, reset to defaults again, and this time was able to get the SFP Internet working from the wizard end. Speed test looking good!

1594943563260.png

Unfortunately it seems to make the RJ45 port the default WAN with no ability to change it currently (4 months ago they said they'd give an option to change this eventually). So for now, I'll have to leave my Cable modem disconnected and not have any automatic failover.

Onto configuring the rest now and then migrating over my AP's and Cameras.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
It'll be interesting to see some actual first hand info from this, rather than the UI forums.
Btw, Yeah, the SFP bug was only fixed in 1.8.

Entz

It'll be interesting to see some actual first hand info from this, rather than the UI forums.
Btw, Yeah, the SFP bug was only fixed in 1.8.
Same.

Yeah, WAN failover is a request many have asked for but they still haven't implemented :(

zoob

You can remap WAN1 and WAN2 in Devices -> UDMP -> Ports -> WAN

Failover is the only mode that works for dual WAN.

udmp-wan.PNG

JD

Staff member
You can remap WAN1 and WAN2 in Devices -> UDMP -> Ports -> WAN

Failover is the only mode that works for dual WAN.
Is that on the new 6.x controller? Only options in those dropdowns for me is "Disabled"

EDIT: I see, have to set one as disabled first, then the drop down lets you pick the other. Seems to be a bit wonky though since I need one to be PPPoE on VLAN35 and the other as DHCP. Looks like it flips them around in the Internet setting page, but doesn't actually say the interface has changed.

Last edited:

zoob

Yeah it's not very straight forward since there's labelling for WAN1/WAN2 and then WAN/WAN2.

"Physical ports"
Port 9 = Port WAN1
Port 10 = Port WAN2

Then physical port WAN1 or WAN2 is assigned to "Network group" WAN or WAN2

Only Network Group WAN2 will show the "Load balancing" (only failover works) setting.

Devices -> UDMP -> Ports -> WAN :
udmp-wan3.PNG

Settings -> Internet -> WAN:

udmp-wan2.PNG

JD

Staff member
@zoob Since you have Bell too apparently, are you on a Gigabit plan? Do you see full speeds? What's your cabling like?

WAN: Bell SFP > ES-16-XG > UDM Pro via 10Gtek DAC
LAN: UDM Pro > ES-16-XG via 10Gtek DAC

My download speeds seem a bit on the low side, roughly 600Mbps. Upload seems to be full speed though (over 750Mbps). Tried turning off all the DPI/IPS stuff too which gets it up to around 750Mbps down but still far from 1Gbps.

I've seen mention of slow SFP speeds on their forums too though, some say the Ubiquiti cables help, but that doesn't even seem certain.

zoob

Yes I'm on Bell Gig. Speeds suffer when using SFP+ link from UDMP to switches so I've swapped to using RJ45 (see post #4). It affects my Wifi clients more noticeably than desktops. With RJ45 I get faster Wifi speeds and 'fast enough' for my desktops since there's little inter-vlan routing going on. Download from certain sites with RJ45 can still hit over 100 MB/s so I'm not too upset about missing that last 25 MB/s heh.

Some people suggested it may have something to do with having VLANs but I haven't yet bothered testing with a fully flat network.

WAN: Bell -(2.5G SFP)-> USW-PRO -(10G Cisco DAC)-> UDMP
LAN: UDMP -(1G RJ45)-> USW-Pro

Recent testing by other people in UI forum show no improvement. I've tried several different connectivity options and none of it helped, though this was some time ago. Tested with 3M/1M/0.5M DACs all different brands, 10GBase-T adapters (Mikrotik rev1 and rev2), different switches ( USW-PRO, and with injectors US-16-XG, TP-Link), and it's been slow in every instance of using SFP+. See my post here: https://community.ui.com/questions/...4#answer/89e9841c-83f5-4e41-95b0-e085592ee4fb

udmp-slowwifi.png

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Is that on the new 6.x controller? Only options in those dropdowns for me is "Disabled"

EDIT: I see, have to set one as disabled first, then the drop down lets you pick the other. Seems to be a bit wonky though since I need one to be PPPoE on VLAN35 and the other as DHCP. Looks like it flips them around in the Internet setting page, but doesn't actually say the interface has changed.
That's a feature that also exists on the USG-PRO. I use it, though agree is not well explained by UI.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Bell gigabit plan here too. With direct connection using the bell sfp to the USG-PRO, could only manage 600 down, 600 up. With the HH3000 in bridge mode and using a cat6 0.5m cable, down is 950 up is 750.