What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UDM Pro

zoob

Even syncing the Bell SFP at 1G you should still get around 940 Mbps. I remember hitting that when first switching away from the HH3K and going down the rabbit hole of researching the 1.25G ftth profile on 2.5G sync.

There's no option for physical port sharing of WAN/LAN on different VLAN. That sounds like a home-brew router (pfsense et. al) special hehe.

zoob

@JD do you have any downstream switches or are you testing plugged into the ES-16-XG?

Just read this thread:
He says on his USW-PRO-48 that ports 1-24 perform much worse than on ports 25-48. My access points are on the 'first half' of the switch maybe that's why I see such a severe hit, and my desktops are hanging off a USW-FLEX being powered by the PoE++ ports that are on the 'second half'.

JD

Staff member
There's huge threads on DSLReports about the whole 2.5Gbps sync inconsistencies. Some people can sync the Bell SFP at 1Gbps and have no performance hit, other people (myself included) see reduced speeds. That's why I ended up buying an ES-16-XG to put the Bell SFP into (and in turn moved a bunch of my LAN to 10G).

On a more related question as I haven't run a Ubiquti router before. Can you use the WAN port as both the WAN and LAN where the WAN is on a separate VLAN? Or is it explicitly WAN goes to WAN and LAN goes to LAN.
I'm running my EdgeRouter 4 like this now, works perfectly fine. The UniFi line though isn't as "advanced" in that respect. I don't think the hardware has any limitations, it's the software. An interface is an interface, it should be able to be used for whatever you want. Since Bell allows multiple PPPoE sessions, I just have VLAN 35 & 36 tagged for the WAN side, then using VLAN 40 to run the Fibe TV PVR/STB on along with IGMP Proxy. (you'll see I only have eth2 on the ER4 connected below)

@JD do you have any downstream switches or are you testing plugged into the ES-16-XG?

Just read this thread:
He says on his USW-PRO-48 that ports 1-24 perform much worse than on ports 25-48. My access points are on the 'first half' of the switch maybe that's why I see such a severe hit, and my desktops are hanging off a USW-FLEX being powered by the PoE++ ports that are on the 'second half'.
Sounds like maybe the USW-PRO has other issues? I guess he thinks its the UDM side, but that's pretty odd that only half his ports would be impacted. Sounds more like a switch issue to me.

Currently my desktop resides up on the Netgear switch, so it's UDM (DAC) > ES-16-XG (DAC) > Netgear > Desktop (10G copper)

My setup looks like this now:

1595019187735.png

Got UniFi Protect up and running now too, pretty straight forward. I plugged in the HDD and cleaned up the wiring, by the time I got to my PC it was all up and running and asked me if I wanted to add my camera (I had unmanaged them from UniFi Video beforehand).

Also hooked back up the Cable Modem, so dual WAN seems to be working properly now with the Cable connection as the Failover.

The new dashboard as part of the 6.x controller is pretty nice too for a quick glance (I had DPI and device detection off, thus why most things show as "others"):

1595020092433.png

90% happy with things now, just to sort out this LAN-WAN speed issue. And hopefully someday they'll allow multiple VLANs on the WAN side and IGMP Proxy support.

Entz

They really took the Dark of Dark mode seriously in 6. Any issues?

JD

Staff member
They really took the Dark of Dark mode seriously in 6. Any issues?
It could be why it randomly stops responding when changing settings...

The actual settings pages feel like their missing a lot of "meat", it's been even more simplified than 5.x. Usually have to drop back to the old settings page to ensure things are done properly. Might be alright in the end though, having it simple like a consumer router, I'm still trying to get accustomed to it since the EdgeRouter let me do everything, compared to this that's restricted.

Entz

Yeah I have a feeling you are right, they are moving towards the "commodity" level trying to be a fancy ASUS or something. That would alienate their userbase something fierce.

MRobi

Bell gigabit plan here too. With direct connection using the bell sfp to the USG-PRO, could only manage 600 down, 600 up. With the HH3000 in bridge mode and using a cat6 0.5m cable, down is 950 up is 750.
By "bridge mode" I assume you mean advanced dmz. In doing it this way have you tried doing any port forwarding rules?

I've got Bell's gigabit plan and can get consistant gigabit speeds if I stay plugged into the hh3000. With advanced dmz enabled, the udm-p receives an external IP address but I can't do any port forwarding at all. The rules simply don't work.

I've got a Nokia ONT which sucks. If I plug directly into the udm-p I get under 100Mbit. Using a 10Gtek media converter I can get that up to about 180Mbit. Neither are anywhere near Gigabit which I've been reading is very common with the Nokia ONT.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Yes, the hh3k advanced dmz. No port forwarding used, though I use the usg-pro, not the udmp.

JD

Staff member
I've got Bell's gigabit plan and can get consistant gigabit speeds if I stay plugged into the hh3000. With advanced dmz enabled, the udm-p receives an external IP address but I can't do any port forwarding at all. The rules simply don't work.
If you're in Ontario/Quebec, you shouldn't need to do Advanced DMZ, rather just initiate a PPPoE connection on your UDM-P (or any router). This bypasses the HH3000 effectively and is actually what I'd consider "bridge" mode. Port forwarding should work fine at that point.

If your installer didn't give you your PPPoE credentials, you can reset the password online via MyBell using the "Change modem access password". You'll also need to put this password into your HH3000 under the Internet settings.

MRobi

If you're in Ontario/Quebec, you shouldn't need to do Advanced DMZ, rather just initiate a PPPoE connection on your UDM-P (or any router). This bypasses the HH3000 effectively and is actually what I'd consider "bridge" mode. Port forwarding should work fine at that point.

If your installer didn't give you your PPPoE credentials, you can reset the password online via MyBell using the "Change modem access password". You'll also need to put this password into your HH3000 under the Internet settings.
Atlantic Canada here, so we don't use PPPOE.

My understanding of advanced DMZ is that it forwards all traffic to the udmp. So I'm not entirely sure why port forwarding doesn't work. I assume the issue is on the hh3000 side since there's lots of history about admz issues.

I think my only real solution is a us-16-xg or wait it out until they enable 2.5 syncing on the udmp

Latest posts