What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UDM Pro

Entz

That really is a beautiful switch. One thing would give me pause, due to its cost. Especially as a media converter WAN switch.

A little birdy mentioned the " USW-Aggregation" that just hit EA 8 port SFP+ and half the price :unsure:

(Basically a Unifi'ed Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+)

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
That really is a beautiful switch. One thing would give me pause, due to its cost. Especially as a media converter WAN switch.
Well that's why you just move more things to 10G after you get one to justify it's cost :rolleyes:
A little birdy mentioned the " USW-Aggregation" that just hit EA 8 port SFP+ and half the price :unsure:
Not sure if that supports 2.5G, haven't seen much on it yet though. I don't think it's that great a value since the US-16-XG also has 4 copper 10G ports too.

You basically "burn" 3 ports too - 1 port for the Bell SFP, 2 ports to the UDM. I use a 4th as I have to use a EdgeRouter to do IGMP Proxy to get FibeTV working too. And then a 5th (and maybe 6th) as uplink to your normal copper switch.

I'm not really sure what the point of the USW-Aggregation is, doesn't seem like something a business would need/want. Exists mostly for the home lab user maybe? I guess you could buy a pair for redundancy in your uplinks between switches? But then it lacks their RPS power thing...

The US-XG-6POE makes a little more sense for future readiness as you have multi-gig (up to 10G) PoE copper ports for WiFi 6E (or whatever is next). But it costs as much as a US-16-XG.

Entz

I'm not really sure what the point of the USW-Aggregation is, doesn't seem like something a business would need/want. Exists mostly for the home lab user maybe? I guess you could buy a pair for redundancy in your uplinks between switches? But then it lacks their RPS power thing...

The US-XG-6POE makes a little more sense for future readiness as you have multi-gig (up to 10G) PoE copper ports for WiFi 6E (or whatever is next). But it costs as much as a US-16-XG.
Kinda fits in with the UDM-Pro and such. Surprising amount of consumer NAS units with SFP+ etc. Can then uplink with your UDM-Pro over 10g. Almost makes you wonder if they are going to come out with a v2 of some of the other stuff. Say the Switch 8 now with SFP+ etc.

From a homelab point of view it is fantastic. The 2 Mikrotik SFP+ switches (4 and 8 port) are the goto for low noise SFP+ gear. The US-16-XG is pretty noisy isn't it? I see people are modding it but don't really have any context..

A non-POE version of the XG-6 would be a wonderful "home switch" for those that don't need POE but the POE++ support is making it cost way too much.

RPS is kind of silly to be honest as you can't hotswap the failed PSU. So if it dies, yeah your powered by the RPS, but now you need to replace the whole unit to fix the internal PSU. So your down a box either way, for a potentially extended period or RMA time, unless you have spares on hand. The rest of the industry solved this problem decades ago and it works...

MRobi

That USW-Aggregation switch looks like a lower cost solution, but there's no mention of 2.5G so it'd be a gamble too. I had tried ordering the UDM Pro when it was early access and ship it to the border for pickup. They cancelled my order since it was a known export address. So assuming that would happen again it could be 6 months + before this switch is available in Canada.

I look as the US-16-XG as a future proof switch. I'll make use of a good chunk of the sfp+ switches, I'll have 1 port for Bell, 2 ports for the UDM, 1 port for my Dell switch (I'm eyeing the new Unifi 6 Switch 24 in EA) and 1 Port for my supermicro server. As for it being noisy.... I bet I'll never even notice it next to the supermicro, and I've modified all the fans on it to make it quieter LOL

JD

Staff member
RPS is kind of silly to be honest as you can't hotswap the failed PSU. So if it dies, yeah your powered by the RPS, but now you need to replace the whole unit to fix the internal PSU.
Yeah I guess it's a "better than nothing" deal but not really the best. But on an "aggregation" switch, I'd expect some redundancy in power since the name seems to imply that it would be a pretty critical part of your backbone.

Can't speak to the US-16-XG specifically, but assuming its the same as the ES model, it's not unbearably loud either. About equal to my furnace fan running at low speed (as it's in the same room).

Entz

I look as the US-16-XG as a future proof switch. I'll make use of a good chunk of the sfp+ switches, I'll have 1 port for Bell, 2 ports for the UDM, 1 port for my Dell switch (I'm eyeing the new Unifi 6 Switch 24 in EA) and 1 Port for my supermicro server. As for it being noisy.... I bet I'll never even notice it next to the supermicro, and I've modified all the fans on it to make it quieter LOL
So true lol . I love Supermicro stuff.

Good to know about the noise. A bit of noise is fine I just can't do the 8000rpm 40mm fan noise.

supaflyx3

That USW-Aggregation switch looks like a lower cost solution, but there's no mention of 2.5G so it'd be a gamble too. I had tried ordering the UDM Pro when it was early access and ship it to the border for pickup. They cancelled my order since it was a known export address. So assuming that would happen again it could be 6 months + before this switch is available in Canada.

Just an FYI SFP+ is broken on the UDMP, use rj45 for your switch uplink or you'll see sub gigabit speeds. I'll be grabbing the Unifi 6 & the Aggregation switch once they are GA, hopefully my last major network upgrade for a while...

MRobi

Good to know about the noise. A bit of noise is fine I just can't do the 8000rpm 40mm fan noise.
I swapped out the 7 screamers with 5 Noctua iPPC 120mm fans, put in a pair of SQ psu's. Drives stay nice and cool but under heavy load the cpu's were getting a little warm so I put some active heat sinks. It's significantly quieter than it was but it's still fairly loud.

Just an FYI SFP+ is broken on the UDMP, use rj45 for your switch uplink or you'll see sub gigabit speeds. I'll be grabbing the Unifi 6 & the Aggregation switch once they are GA, hopefully my last major network upgrade for a while...
I thought this was fixed with the beta firmware aside from a few having some dropping issues?

supaflyx3

I swapped out the 7 screamers with 5 Noctua iPPC 120mm fans, put in a pair of SQ psu's. Drives stay nice and cool but under heavy load the cpu's were getting a little warm so I put some active heat sinks. It's significantly quieter than it was but it's still fairly loud.

I thought this was fixed with the beta firmware aside from a few having some dropping issues?
Quite a few people have reported the SFP+ bug still persists on the 1.8.0 beta, I don't use sfp+ for my switch uplink so im not able to test.

Latest posts