What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UEFI Install Transfer?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Is there a way to install windows 7 in UEFI mode on a hdd that win 7 will see then transfer that to my ssd? Only reason I ask is I barely got windows installed on my ssd to begin with multiple versions couldnt see any drives attached.

I went to ROG site followed there guide to making a bootable uefi Usb drive get to install and of course windows doesnt see the ssd.

And yes iv tried all manner of inf install files from Intel none work.

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 121

JD

Staff member
UEFI booting in Windows 7 wasn't very polished if I recall. Even less so when you aren't using a proper copy of Windows.

It's only beneficial in Windows 8 IMO and I wouldn't bother with Windows 7.

And are you sure your SSD is plugged into the Intel SATA ports?

MARSTG

Indeed, sounds like you don't have the driver for the storage controller. Your board also has ASmedia sata ports. Load the drivers on a USB stick and insert it in you system, make sure is a USB 2.0 port, and then browse to the drivers when offered the chance in the setup process.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Iv tried that put raid drivers from asus site also tried using my pro copy of win 7 then using a USB tool to create a uefi version of win 7 pro. Also in my bios I see my ssds are in a frozen state.

Secure erase hasnt fixed it so not sure whats going on with them. For now stuck with a working albeit slow legacy install of win7 pro.

Why I was asking if itd be easier to install on a hdd it does see then transfer over to the ssd once installed.

Think ill skip 8.1 till win 9 comes out as I sure hope ms learned tablet os has no place in desktop space.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Frozen State

Heres what bios shows me. Tried all tricks to unfreeze them no go.

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 68

ipaine

Just change the settings in the UEFI/BOIS to run in compatability mode. Usually called CSM or something like that. If you set it right then you won't have an issue installing windows 7 onto your SSD and you will not have to worry about finding drivers or anything like that.

Ok, if you have the board I believe you have then go into the BIOS and go to the advanced settings and then go to the boot menu tab. Look for CSM and make sure it is enabled and also make sure that the boot device control is either just legacy or both legacy and UEFI.

After that on the same tab you have to make sure that the Secure Boot option is set to Other OS.

Once that is done then the windows 7 install should easily see your drives.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Tried that on build day as I was planning on installing in uefi mode so before build started I built 3 diff uefi Usb installs following instructions yet still wouldnt find drives. I put all drivets from Rive site for raid and Intel drivers on all Usb disks.

Latest posts