What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Uh oh !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainEater

Update time !

I got the rest of my drive bays today.....12x 2.5" sas-sata.I'm trying to find someone that can do mini-SAS breakouts with custom colors.
Processors should be here soon !
---
The biggest hurdle is over.
I need ram,PSU,Cables,and a couple ssds to fire it up, and it will be upgraded basically continuously for the next year I'm guessin.It won't be finished until there are 3x volta Titans in it !

No pics.Wait like everyone else !

:haha:

BrainEater

You and me both.

I jumped waaaaay into the deep end on this.

I've been saving for/researching this build for about a year.I started out looking at the Xeon 2687w's (broadwell)...When Skylake and Threadripper came out I was conflicted.The choice ended up being easy.

1: While impressed with AMD's new offerings , I'm (still) unsure of the quality.Time might prove me wrong on this, but that's ok.

2: I need more than 44 PCIe lanes.MY count right now is 72, so the Intel 79xx stuff doesn't help me.

Skylake-SP (now Xeon gold) dual processor, is the only answer.I'm into the latest Xeon workstation type chips there are......The 6144 came out 3 weeks ago, I ordered 4 days later.
------

Make no mistake ,this is the most expensive build I've ever done by 2x.I am not recycling anything from my current computer, so it's from scratch.
I am at 11,000$ right now, and 3-4k$ away from even turning it on.I can easily see another 5000$ after I turn it on.

:thumb:

Last edited:

BrainEater

Last update to this thread.
Next update will be a photo gallery (or the cover of MaximumPC)
I'm thinking mid December.
----
Everything is paid for except my new m.2 drives, and some custom cabling from Mod-One.
It's north of 15k$.
.....and that's really just for the entry level.There is soooo much to upgrade on this rig.I am excited !

I've started wiring , painting screws, etc....doing some awesome hand-wrapped data cables.

I can tell you 2 things.

-There will be no RGB lighting.
-I have left the bottom part of the case empty.For liquid reasons.

BrainEater

Haha !!

I don't drink that much beer !
-----

I'll tell you how I can afford it.

a) I was saving for an upgrade anyway , and,
b) I was saving money to buy into a certain B.C. property you and I both know quite well HaDeS...and well , we know how that turned out.I won't say anymore 'cause I'll just start swearin.

--------

I don't think I need an airbrush artist anymore, but thanks !
I have kind of changed my tack as far as the aesthetic goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Twitter