What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ultrawide Recommendations

Lysrin

Right now I'm leaning heavily into the Gigabyte M34WQ. It has a built in KVM which saves me from having to find a VRR comparable KVM, it can be controlled via Gigabytes software suite which eliminates having to mess with the OSD, and it works with G-Sync, although unofficially. It's also an IPS panel which I prefer. About the only downside I can find is there's no curve, which I'm not used to anyway.

Any reason why I shouldn't just pull the trigger on this?

Also, any recommendations for a good VESA mount that will support a 34" Ultrawide and two 22" monitors in portrait?
Can't conclusively tell you to pull the trigger. Buying monitors is hard! ;) But I am very happy with the Gigabyte FV43U as I've said several times here. It also has the KVM but I haven't used it yet so can't give you a review on that. If the M34WQ fits your wants and your budget, and you don't find any big negatives in reviews, then it's likely a good option for you. I wouldn't worry about no curve, especially if you go IPS with good viewing angles. You won't miss what you don't have and some people find they don't like the curve for certain workflows anyway.

If I had to find potential negatives, and these are perhaps nitpicking, it only does HDR400. I am brand new to HDR, so not an expert, but if I understand correctly you might not see much of a benefit from HDR400. For example "In comparison to a regular non-HDR monitor, an HDR400-certified monitor only has a higher peak brightness and the ability to accept the HDR signal. So, the HDR picture won’t have improved colors or contrast, just a higher peak luminance, which in most cases results in just a washed-out image." (https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-hdr-for-monitors-and-is-it-worth-it/)

The other item is the HDMI ports are only 2.0, not 2.1. I paid no attention to that at all with my Gigabyte purchase because I run DisplayPort from my PC and don't run consoles on it. But that could be a consideration if you think you might need 2.1?

About the VESA mounts, I think for a fairly custom setup like that, and if you don't have to move the monitors around a lot once they are in place, I would suggest going with three cheaper single arm mounts. That will give a lot of flexibility. I have been using VIVO brand ones for years, used with my 34" and a second 21" monitor, and the two separate stands was ideal. I do not have the 43" on a mount :D

draemn

Right now I'm leaning heavily into the Gigabyte M34WQ. It has a built in KVM which saves me from having to find a VRR comparable KVM, it can be controlled via Gigabytes software suite which eliminates having to mess with the OSD, and it works with G-Sync, although unofficially. It's also an IPS panel which I prefer. About the only downside I can find is there's no curve, which I'm not used to anyway.

Any reason why I shouldn't just pull the trigger on this?

Also, any recommendations for a good VESA mount that will support a 34" Ultrawide and two 22" monitors in portrait?
With your budget, I'd say no, just buy it... you might want to get some kind of 2nd warranty/guarantee from where you buy it as Gigabyte doesn't have good customer support imo.

Check youtube/google for a good VESA mount, some pretty solid top results in the search.

sswilson

Staff member
Lysrin, I gotta say that mount looks pretty cool.
I can't help but wonder if that clamp mount is solid enough but I suspect it is. It's outside of my experience........

There's a second option for mounting that looks like it involves drilling a single bolt hole. That would be my personal choice for mounting.

Lysrin

@GeezerGamer I've had no issues with the clamps on the VIVO's I've used. But you do need to think about your desk top thickness and desk sturdiness when you get that much weight, two or three monitors, all coming down to one clamp point. If the desk top isn't thick or sturdy enough you end up with wobble or shake in the monitors just when typing and that can get pretty annoying.

Personally I have had better success mitigating that with separate mounts to distribute the weight on a larger section of the desk top, hence why I suggested that originally. I have also wood blocked where the clamps are on the underside of the desktop, either 2x4 or 2x6 about 10-12" long to again distribute the weight and force. I have an IKEA desk top, about 3/4" thick, with a metal desk frame. So the blocking stabilized the monitors and prevented warping of the desk top.

Last edited:

GeezerGamer

@GeezerGamer I've had no issues with the clamps on the VIVO's I've used. But you do need to think about your desk top thickness and desk sturdiness when you get that much weight, two or three monitors, all coming down to one clamp point. If the desk top isn't thick or sturdy enough you end up with wobble or shake in the monitors just when typing and that can get pretty annoying.

Personally I have had better success mitigating that with separate mounts to distribute the weight on a larger section of the desk top, hence why I suggested that originally. I have also wood blocked where the clamps are on the underside of the desktop, either 2x4 or 2x6 about 10-12" long to again distribute the weight and force. I have an IKEA desk top, about 3/4" think, with a metal desk frame. So the blocking stabilized the monitors and prevented warping of the desk top.
Excellent, I can see that working!

Skippman

Personally I have had better success mitigating that with separate mounts to distribute the weight on a larger section of the desk top, hence why I suggested that originally. I have also wood blocked where the clamps are on the underside of the desktop, either 2x4 or 2x6 about 10-12" long to again distribute the weight and force. I have an IKEA desk top, about 3/4" think, with a metal desk frame. So the blocking stabilized the monitors and prevented warping of the desk top.

Ironically I just bought a new Ikea desk for my new home office. Ended up getting the Idasen 63" desk. I've been considering doing the drilled mount and putting a piece of angle iron at the bottom of the mount under the desk to give it some rigidity. It looks like the Gigabyte is only clocking in at 16lbs so it shouldn't be too bad.

Lysrin

Hey @Skippman this Hardware Unboxed review just popped up for me on YouTube. I really like their reviews. They feel pretty good about the M34WQ:

Skippman

I'm going to pull the trigger and order one. The best price I can find down here in the states is $499 from NewEgg. Once I saw on a review from an AUS site that you can control everything using the Gigabyte software it kind of sealed the deal. I'm already running their suite on my rig as I have a AORUS X57 Ultra.

Right now I have to desecrate setups at my house here in St. Louis. One is my gaming rig that consist of a 27" Acer Predator 1440P panel, a Logitech G513 Mechanical Keyboard and a Logitech G602 mouse. My work machine is a laptop connected to a HP Thunderbolt dock with two 22" Samsung 1080P panels, a cheap Logitech wireless keyboard and another G602 mouse. This whole setup eats up a ton of desk space as I have to have two discrete setups.

Now I'll be able to use my mechanical keyboard for both systems and only need one mouse. I'm considering flanking this 34" with the two 22" monitors in portrait mode. I'd connect the left one to my work computer for e-mail and IMs and connect the right one to my gaming rig for video playback/music. That eliminates the need for a 3 monitor KVM and lets me swap the main display between work and play while still being able to monitor each system while using the other.

Latest posts